Everybody says it’s hard to promote Tumblr blog and get more followers, traffic.🤔
You’ve heard it plenty of times, right?
Unfortunately, you might also believe that it is true. No clue how and where to start. So you might be thinking that you can’t promote Tumblr blog for more traffic and get more Tumblr followers.
After reading this entire article, you’ll find it is undoubtedly a wrong idea.
You can promote your Tumblr blog efficiently for more traffic, targeted followers, and conversions and of course for more attention.
Any promotion strategy without the aim of getting attention is useless, right?
That’s why in this article, I show you 18 ways to promote Tumblr blog rightly for more attention.
Read the article thoroughly and if you liked it and found it is share-worthy, don’t forget to spread your love by sharing this article with your friends.
How to Promote Your Tumblr in the Right Way: The Complete Guide
#1: Optimize Your Tumblr for Search Engines
Tumblr is a microblogging platform. So, why you couldn’t optimize your blog for search engines just like you can do it for BlogSpot blogs and WordPress blogs?
In fact, if you’re a regular reader of Pitiya, you know that I have already published a whopping guide about Tumblr SEO.
It is the world’s #1 guide to Tumblr SEO…
Anyway, here are a few search engine optimization tips for Tumblr blogs.
Your ultimate goal should be producing quality content that a search visitor is expecting (or demanding).
If you failed to deliver that, remember that you lost the promotion campaign. Therefore, follow these simple SEO tips and make your Tumblr SEO friendly.
Tip #1: Write Click-bait Post titles
Do you know that just only 2 out of 10 people read your Tumblr post without paying much attention to post title?
Yes, that’s right.
But, other eight people will actually read the post article’s title first AND then decide whether it’s good to read…
Also, don’t forget that the average Internet user’s attention span time is just 8 seconds…
That’s below to a goldfish’s attention time which is 9 seconds…
And the average time you have to take people’s attention is only 3-5 seconds.
What factors actually cause them to read your post?
That’s a good question.
When you optimize Tumblr posts for search engines, you have to look at the post title in two angles.
- It must include your primary keyword… (If you’re careful about secondary keyword or keyword stemming, then secondary keyword too. But, to drive search traffic to your blog, your primary keyword should be contained.)
- It should be a click-worthy one (like I said)
So, how do you write quality post titles for your upcoming Tumblr post for more traffic from search engines?
Here’s the trick, though…
You can actually optimize post title for both sides; search engines and search visitors.
In general, long-tail keywords or LSI keywords perform better in search engines.
That way you can expect higher rankings on SERPs sooner.
Here are a few post title templates that I prefer using mostly.
Post Template #1: How to…
How to _______ for/using/with/within ______
How to shoot a perfect photo for next Tumblr Post
How to Lose 10 Pounds using XYZ within TWO Weeks
How to Market Your Product on Pinterest for Higher ROI
How to Make your first $1 Online without Spending Any Money
You get the idea, right?
These types of headlines perform better for step-by-step guides and tutorials in most cases.
Look at this post title too.
How to Generate More Leads Using Untapped Traffic Sources in 2020
Not only this headline calls the scarcity (the latter you take an action, the competition will undertake traffic sources), BUT also includes modifiers too…
What are modifiers?
Modifiers are specific words/numbers which demonstrate a specific entity.
In above example, I added 2020 as an example…
Who doesn’t want to find out untapped traffic sources to generate more leads in 2020?
NOT anyone, right?
Yes, it is…
Post Template #2: Numbered…
## ___Ways/Methods/Tools/Tips/Tricks/Advices to/for _________
It looks like a weird one, right?
But, believe me. It is a powerful headline template.
Here are a few examples…
16 Best Twitter Tools to Dominate Twitter Marketing
10 Grammar Checker Tools for Flawless Writing
101 Awesome Cookery Recipes for Next Christmas
101 Best Email Marketing Quotes to Inspire and Motivate
200+ Network Marketing Quotes to Shift Your MLM Business To the Next Level
Numbers posts perform on every platform; search engine result pages, social media, emails, and even in offline media channels such as newspapers and banners.
They are click-bait ones.
I have found that in most cases, numbers posts perform better than How-to headlines.
The only way to conclude that one is split testing headline versus engagements (number of clicks/impressions, average time on page, bounce rate, conversions, etc.)
Tip #2: Optimize URLs
In Tumblr, when you published a new post, your post’s address would be like this;
BUT, to promote Tumblr for more traffic and attention, you should change your Tumblr address or slug.
Here’re a few essential tips to optimize URLs of Tumblr posts.
- Make your slug short and sweet: Yes, short and sweet… Don’t prolong post address to the entire character limit. (if you don’t know, it is 1024 characters in HTML3. Yes, it differs from browser to browser and technology.)
- Add your primary keyword: To get a small boost in search engine rankings, you should include the primary keyword in URLs. Check out how I have made the URL for this article.
- A/B test with breadcrumbs or without breadcrumbs: Yes, Click-through rates obviously could differ due to using breadcrumbs. For instance, look at the below screenshot.
Even though the main domain doesn’t get much more value from search engines as it used, it still matters in somewhat.
So, even though your Tumblr domain doesn’t have the primary keyword included, you can still use keywords in post and page URLs to get more traffic to Tumblr.
Tip #3: Use of Keywords
Keywords still matter in search engine optimization. But, the way search engines these days gauge pages have changed. So you can’t stuff keywords here and there in every article.
Instead, you should understand the USP (User Selling Proposition) and obviously the keyword intent.
For getting a clear idea about this concept, look carefully at the image below.
People use long-tail keywords today than any other day.
Yes, Long tail keywords matter in search engine optimization better than any other day.
Because search engine marketing has become more competitive.
So, the best way to get higher rankings instantly (or sooner for a long time) is by utilizing long-tail keywords in blog posts.
There are four keyword types. They all are different and have different values, entities.
- Head tail keywords – This type of keywords usually has higher search volume and so more competition too. For example, take the “Apple” keyword. I wonder even apple tree can rank the first page for this keyword!
- Middle tail keywords – These keywords are generally 2-3 words lengthier. For example, “Apple phone”, “Apple iPad”.
- Long Tail Keywords – These keywords are usually easy to rank on SERPs in most cases. Example: “Apple phones under $300 with free shipping”, “brand new Apple iPad under $250 in 2016”
- LSI keywords – LSI or Latest Semantic Indexing is the new type of keywords. It directly implies the user intent. Example: If used “Apple iPhone”, the LSI keywords could be “cheap Apple phones”, “Apple phone vs. Samsung Phone”, “Apple phone features”, “failures of Samsung Galaxy phone”. LSI keywords are usually synonym keywords, yet implies other different aspects.
As you see, every keyword type has different values. That’s the beauty of keywords…
So, how do you find keywords for your next Tumblr post?
In fact, it’s very easy nowadays to generate keywords. You can find lots of free and paid keyword research tools. Here are a few of them.
- Google Keyword Planner – Find search queries that people use in Google.
- SEMrush Keyword Research Tool – Get a thorough Keyword result and rankings for different search engines.
- Long Tail Pro – A long-tail keyword research tool to find easy-to-rank keywords
- Ubersuggest – Another online long-tail keyword research tool.
- KeywordShitter – An LSI keyword research tool.
One of my favorite Search Engine Marketing tools is SEMrush. It provides various tools for webmasters, PPC advertisers and content marketers alike. So, here I will show you how to find keywords that are easy to rank using SEMrush.
Step #1: Go to SEMrush over here and create your account first. (you can open a free account with limited features and also open a premium account and get more features which are limited or not allowed to use in the free plan.)
Step #2: After opening your SEMrush account, enter a keyword or keyword phrase into the search box and hit the “Enter” button or just select on the keyword from the drop-down menu.
Step #3: Here are two groups of keywords based on “Phrase Match” and “Related”.
Here are a few keywords with their search volume, trend and keyword difficulty.
To find long-tail keywords, filter search results to sort keyword phrases with over four words lengthier. Select keywords with lower Keyword difficulty and medium-sized volumes.
This is just one way to find keywords with SEMrush. Their latest keyword research tool is “SEO Keyword Magic.”
It categorizes keywords by modifiers. Look at this example.
I would suggest you upgrade to one of their premium plans as you have more quota and get access to more tools such as social media tool.
So, these are just three tips to optimize your Tumblr for search engines. I can actually talk much about search engine optimization. But, I wouldn’t take much space for SEO in this article. Your ultimate goal should be to promote Tumblr through search engines.
I would strongly recommend you read World’s #1 guide to Tumblr SEO. Not only you will find how to optimize your Tumblr on-page SEO for more search visitors but also how to steal competitors search visitors too.
#2: Use Webmaster Tools
You have tons of ways to promote Tumblr to get more views, conversions, and attention. But, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) should be your primary traffic source.
- Search traffic is free
- Organic traffic is warm and highly targeted
- Can convert into sales easily (if you have a good funnel)
So, how do you get the attention of search engines to your Tumblr first and then get more traffic?
The best way is to submit your Tumblr to webmaster tools.
Yes, you can add your website to Google, Yahoo, Bing, Baidu, Yandex search engines without registration. And for free.
But, they don’t get ANY value and benefit for your point of view.
Because, once you submitted your website to webmaster tools, you can,
- Find for what keywords your Tumblr is ranking on Search engine result pages (SERPs) and at what positions
- Submit sitemap to search engines so that increase the crawl efficiency.
- Target a specific location (very beneficial if your Tumblr blog is about a local business or a something that only a specific region wants)
- Find outbound links pointing to your Tumblr
- Know the strength of your interlinking strategy
- Improve HTML flaws
- Identify crawl errors
- Make a manual crawl request
- Find much more…
In fact, you can turn upside down your Tumblr’s SEO performance. Find out weaknesses, strengths of your SEO strategy and so make necessary changes.
So, how do you submit your Tumblr to webmaster tools?
It is very easy to submit your website to webmaster tools. In fact, I have covered all topics about website submission to webmaster tools in my previous tutorials.
I recommend you to check out them one by one and submit your Tumblr’s sitemap to each webmaster tools.
- Google Search Console – Add Tumblr to Google search engine
- Bing Webmaster Tools – Add Tumblr to Bing and Yahoo search engines
- Baidu webmaster tools – Add Tumblr to Baidu search engine
- Yandex webmaster tools – Add Tumblr to Yandex search engine
#3: Track SERP Rankings…
Promoting Tumblr blog by adding new content isn’t enough. You should analyze SERP rankings of your Tumblr posts and pages.
That’s how many bloggers and I improve search traffic.
Why should you track SERP rankings?
When you start tracking SERP ranking for certain keywords, you get lots of chances of;
- Finding out what pages are competing with you
- Finding out their post type(s) (ex: text, photo, video)
- Knowing keyword difficulty (how much it is harder to rank for particular keyword phrase)
- Identifying the popularity of keyword over time
- Finding your SERP ranking changes and your competitors’ ranking fluctuations.
That is why I regularly check Google keyword rankings for my key posts. That SEO technique alone helped me improve my website’s search traffic tremendously. (more about that in a later post)
You too can track your Tumblr’s rankings on Google search engine.
Here’s how to do it…
Step #1: Go to SEMrush and create your account. If you have one, log in to your account.
Step #2: Under the Projects tab, click on “Add New Project” button. Then fill out necessary details such as your Tumblr blog URL.
Step #3: In the keywords tab, add keywords that your website is ranking one by one.
You can add up to 10 keywords in a free account. To get more keyword rank tracking quota, you have to upgrade to one of their premium plans.
Here’s another cool feature of SEMrush. This allows you to find common keywords between two websites.
For example, let’s say you have published an article on your Tumblr about fitness.
You have found a competitor that ranks on SERPs higher than your article. So, you wanted to find uncommon keywords that your competitor is using.
After adding your and competitors’ website URLs, you can find keywords your competitor’s website is ranking, but your site isn’t.
You can sprinkle those keywords in your Tumblr blog’s necessary placements. So your Tumblr will start ranking for more targeted keywords and so will receive more organic traffic.
The key word here is “targeted.”
That’s why you did a competitor analysis. (Competitor isn’t your enemy always, right? Yes… I got it!)
Here’s the SEMrush’s Domain vs Domain keywords report for my recent search.
#4: Post Queue
As you know, there are lots of never-ending debates on the internet. Go to Reddit, Quora, Yahoo Answers or any forum and you can find tons of threads related to;
- Who lie more: Men or Women?
- Gay marriage
- Single opt-in or Double opt-in
And also there are some debates that seem like they have answers. Some of them are;
- Using giveaway contests for list building (coincidence: targeted, interest, warm, buyer intent)
- The future of SEO (coincidence: PPC advertising, competition, authority)
- Post consistency (coincidence: quality, originality)
Read the last topic again…
Yes, you cannot promote your Tumblr blog without handling the consistency factor.
Think this for a moment. You published a new post on your Tumblr today.
Then you couldn’t do that for one or two months. Can you expect that your Tumblr’s growth will improve over time?
Not anyway, right?
So, How do you maintain the ‘consistency’ factor?
It is very easy. In fact, You have this option in your Tumblr account. First, you’ll have to enable Tumblr Labs.
Enable Queue 2.0.
And whenever you have ANY extra content, add them to queue.
So, you maintain the posting consistency while you’re on vacation.
#5: Syndicate Content
If you actually want to promote your Tumblr blog to get more views to Tumblr and more conversions to your business, then you have to think out of the box and pay your attention to other promotional tactics.
One way to promote your Tumblr for more traffic is ‘content syndication.’
Whenever you publish a new post on your Tumblr blog, you have to promote it across all other available platforms as far as you can.
But, it becomes a harder and tedious task to promote your Tumblr on all networks, right?
Then, how do you promote Tumblr posts automatically?
There is a website that makes the process easier and automated.
It is IFTTT (If this, then that).
You get the idea, right?
Yes, it works based on specific statements.
As a matter of fact, you don’t have to define explicit statements to publicize your Tumblr on social networks and other content curation websites.
There are currently over 350 recipes (yes, the statement packs known as recipes in IFTTT) which you can use for free.
For instance, this IFTTT recipe will syndicate your latest Tumblr posts on LinkedIn.
And this will automatically share the latest Tumblr posts on Facebook.
Very interesting, right?
Yea, of course…
But, what if there is not a recipe for your idea…?
If you couldn’t find a recipe for your concept (in rare cases), you can contact their support team and ask to make a recipe or hire someone on Fiverr for doing that just for $5.
However, for some platforms, you have to syndicate your content or curate content manually.
Here are a few of them.
- SlideShare.net – The leading online presentation website
- ISSUU – Digital publishing platform for magazines and catalogs
- Reddit – One of the most popular social networks. Beware when promoting Tumblr on Reddit. Read their posting guideline for more information.
Content syndication is a great way to promote your Tumblr blog without spending money and if done correctly without spending much time. You just have to know the methods and have the appropriate tools for that.
#6: Make your Tumblr Professional
NOT every person like to visit or share sites with weird content and theme.
Forget about Wikipedia or other popular authority sites.
In today’s visitors want to feel the “ah-ha” moment when visiting a website.
If you can’t convey that your Tumblr is a professional one, then no one might be going to share your blog with their friends.
But, the good thing is, you can make your Tumblr professional within a few hours.
You can particularly build up the professionalism of your Tumblr in two ways.
- Having a Custom Domain
- Having a Custom Theme
Let’s talk about each topic briefly…
#1: Custom Domain
First, tell me how many times have you seen a blog with sub-domain ranks higher on SERPs for competitive keywords?
I have found nothing. I think you’re the same as me.
That’s how search engines think about domains.
There are not differences in how people look at blogs that have sub-domains. (ex: http://yourTumblrname.Tumblr.com)
If you don’t invest a few dollars for your Tumblr’s custom domain, how could you expect that people will promote your Tumblr? And even regularly visit your blog?
That’s why you should spend a few bucks for your Tumblr domain.
Luckily for you, I have previously posted a guide on how to add a custom domain to Tumblr. I recommend you check it out and follow the steps accordingly.
#2: Custom Theme
To stand out from other blogs and especially from your competitors, you should do ONE thing exclusively first.
What is it?
It is ‘stay out from competitors.’
Yes, stay out of competitors…
…How do you do that?
That’s very simple.
Don’t copy what your competitors are doing…
…yet stay more competitive.
Here’s a key to be apart from competitors in spite of custom domain.
“Use a Custom Theme for Tumblr”
You might not get this positive at first. But, when you continue blogging on Tumblr, you will find it’s essential to have a custom theme.
There are tons of custom themes, right?
How could you find an excellent one?
It’s very simple.
Use a premium theme.
You can get one;
- Coded by hiring a designer from a freelance network.
- By purchasing.
You can find tons of premium Tumblr themes for every type of blogs such as blogging blog, photoblog and all niches like cookery, fitness, funny quotes, cartoons, traveling and photography.
#7: Optimize for Tumblr
Tumblr is a different blogging platform. Tumblr users can find your Tumblr blog by searching a keyword phrase on Tumblr search box.
So, how do you drive more traffic from Tumblr to your Tumblr blog?
It’s very easy, and you just have to do a few tasks.
At the bottom of Tumblr post editor, you can find a field to add tags.
Tags are keywords and keyword phrases that people mostly use in Tumblr.
Ex: #Funny Quotes, #Cooking, #Best Pizza in Nevada, #Blogging, #Marketing
In next time, whenever you’re ready to publicize your Tumblr post, don’t forget to add a few tags.
As you could add any keywords, don’t over add tags.
Tags should be keywords that are relevant to the post. Don’t add unnecessary tags. That will drop down your Tumblr’s positions in Tumblr search results.
#8: Social Media Marketing
Although Tumblr is a famous social network site, it doesn’t say that you shouldn’t utilize other networks to promote your Tumblr website.
You can promote Tumblr by using social media channels in a few different ways.
- Create Social media pages for your Tumblr (ex: facebook fan page like this one)
- Build a community to promote your Tumblr (ex: Facebook Group, LinkedIn community, VKontatekte community)
- Share your latest posts on social networking sites
- Build relationships with influencers and let them promote your Tumblr for free
- Add social share buttons on your Tumblr and let your readers share your Tumblr posts on their favorite social networks
I have shared a few social media marketing tools to drive more traffic to your website. I recommend you check them out. Particularly, I prefer and recommend most bloggers to use Content Studio for their social media campaigns. It has tons of features and tools and managing multiple Tumblr blogs is pretty easier with ContentStudio. You can learn more about Content Studio in this article.
And if you’re a Twitter user, use these Twitter Tools to market your business effectively on Twitter.
#9: Analyze Results and Optimize
There are not ANY company in the world that have gained success without measuring results and optimizing for more growth.
Even you have a small business, you can grow it fast by adjusting a few factors in your marketing strategy.
To find out them, you first must analyze performance.
How do you analyze traffic, conversions, and engagements of Tumblr?
You can utilize a few tracking software to analyze your Tumblr performance across all devices, regions, etc.
The most popular and recommended service to analyze user activities is ‘Google Analytics.’
Many Tumblr themes support for Google Analytics tracking. So, you just have to register your account on Google Analytics and add the ID to your Tumblr theme.
If you want more services to find out what people are doing on your website in real-time, I suggest reading this post.
#10: Blog Commenting
One way to promote Tumblr for free is blog commenting. You can find tons of case studies on how effective the blog commenting technique is.
The best thing is there are tons of websites which allow you to add blog URL when commenting. So when someone clicks on the name, they will redirect to the page you’ve given.
Here are a few tips for getting your blog comment approved and getting attention by comment readers.
- Use a transparent avatar: Many bloggers use WordPress CMS so you can set up your avatar on Gravatar. Add any email address and upload a clear and catchy image. Your face with a white background performs better.
- Use your real name: Don’t add a pen name as your name when commenting. Remember that even most comment systems add the nofollow tag to comment author, they still add value. If done rightly, it can improve your search traffic too.
- Read the article thoroughly: Don’t be fierce. Read the article first and get the idea of what the author has shared. Then start writing an informative comment that even add value to the article foremostly.
- Don’t add links in the comment: By over adding URLs without reasons will throw your comment into spam. So don’t waste your time by trying to post links within comments.
- Be a community member: Reply to other comments. Give it a thumb up. Say you’d agree or not with their idea.
You can easily find blogs to comment on. Go to Google and search “Your Topic “Add a comment”. Here is an example.
#11: Forum Marketing
Another way to drive referral traffic to your Tumblr is using Forums.
Do you know that there are some people who make a living just using referral traffic that coming from forums?
Yes, it takes much time and dedication to get that results, but it pays off in many ways…
- You help others
- You get knowledge
- You build an authority
- You build your online presence
- You get targeted referral traffic from forum signature
Like blog commenting, when starting a thread or publishing a post on ANY forum, you have to follow their guidelines and adhere to terms. Here are a few common things that cannot be avoidable.
- If you start a thread, make sure it is in the corresponding category. Many forums have lots of subforums. So, it would be a little bit overwhelming to find the correct one. Do some research and find the best sub-forum for your thread.
- If you publish your post, make sure it directs to the point.
- Don’t post links in comments (Many forums don’t allow new members to post links at first)
You can easily find appropriate forums to build your online presence and drive traffic to Tumblr.
Search on Google [“Your Niche/Topic” + “forum”]
Just like in blog commenting, be a part of the community, so you can build more rapport with other community members and co-operate for business opportunities. It is a win-win situation, right?
#12: Guest Blogging
I know there were rumors about Guest blogging. Some say Guest blogging is dead while others say it is still alive.
However, still, guest blogging is an excellent way to promote your blog on other blogs. This way you can get more attention and also more search and referral traffic over time.
Some blogs directly allow you to publish your guest post on their blogs. While many others don’t offer this. However, you could still contact the website owner and ask them about posting an article on their blog.
If he is interested you can give a few post titles you like and are interested in writing about.
Within Tumblr, you can message Tumblr blog owner easily. First, follow them and request a guest posting opportunity.
You can find blogs that allow publishing your article by just simply doing a search on Google.
“submit your post” + “Topic”
“Guest Post” + “Topic”
“Contribute” + “Topic”
Guest posting, in fact, a great way to self-promote your Tumblr for more traffic and followers.
#13: Build Your List
If you asked me what the #1 mistake most marketers (yes bloggers and every internet marketer) make is, I would tell it is NOT start building their list on the very first day.
I am not talking about RSS feed distribution services. I speak of EMAIL MARKETING.
Your message + Prospects + Email Marketing == HIGHER RESULTS
The ROI of email marketing is higher than most channels. A study has shown that every $1 you spend on email marketing, at the end of the year, you could get $40 back.
Great, but, how does building an email list help promoting your Tumblr in a healthy way?
Here are a few reasons why you should start building your list right NOW…
- By building an email list, you collect your loyal readers’ contact information. So you can later contact them whenever you want.
- You can publish the latest posts to them and so get more traffic to Tumblr instantly for free.
- Promote exclusive content and send promotional updates to subscribers.
- Convince them to share your posts with their friends.
- Usually, email subscribers are loyal which means your bounce rate will lower down and average time on page will improve over time and the number of subscribers your list has.
How do you start an email list today?
It’s very easy and takes only 10 minutes to start an email list.
It breaks down into three simple steps. They are;
- Choose an excellent email marketing service
- Build a campaign
- Setup lead magnet and opt-in form
So, let’s talk about each topic one-by-one shortly.
Step #1: Choose Email Marketing Service
The very first thing you should do is choosing a good email marketing service. Here are a few email marketing services.
- Aweber – One of the most popular email marketing services used by hundreds of thousands of marketers, bloggers, and solo advertisers worldwide.
- GetResponse – Another top-notch email marketing service.
- MailChimp – Email marketing service with an excellent reputation.
- ConvertKit – A quality email marketing service mostly used by medium-sized businesses and brands.
- Gist – An all-in-one marketing platform for communication, automation and customer relationship management (CRM).
So, what do I recommend for you?
If you want a free email marketing service, I would recommend MailChimp. They offer free service up to 2,000 subscribers and 10,000 newsletters per month. But, the downside of MailChimp is you’re not allowed to use their autoresponder tool and set the “Travel Time” feature.
I used MailChimp before moving to a premium email marketing service. I would recommend it if you’re just starting out and don’t want essential email marketing tools such as autoresponder.
They both are good and have tons of awesome features such as Automation (converting readers into buyers becomes breeze), autoresponder (action-based and normal), free responsive landing pages, attractive email templates, etc.
Basically, I chose GetResponse over Aweber is that their price lower and has some awesome features that Aweber doesn’t have.
You can create your GetResponse free trial account over here. You have 30 days to test their service and then decide whether it is capable for your needs. I think that it is a significant time for any startup. So, create your GetResponse free trial account and move to the next step.
Step #2: Build a Campaign
The next thing right after opting for an email marketing service is to create a campaign. Generally, a campaign is a section of email marketing aspects dedicated to your blog. So, if you want to make more separate lists, you just need to create more campaigns.
In GetResponse, you can create a campaign very easily. In fact, at first, when you visit GetResponse dashboard you can see a message to create your campaign.
Enter your Tumblr blog’s name or anything that you can remember. For example, for Problogtricks newsletter (currently Pitiyaletter), I entered ProBlogTricks.
After you created your campaign, you can add more emails under account settings. I recommend you to add custom email addresses. (ex: email@example.com)
Step #3: Setup Lead magnet, opt-in form…
The last step of start building an email list is setting up the lead magnet and opt-in form. The lead magnet is the bribe or incentive that you offer for sharing their contact info with you.
A good opt-in offer should belong to the content that you offer. For example, if you run a fitness blog, you’d offer a checklist of maintaining a healthy body or offer a video serious on how to build muscles.
You can set up email opt-in offer in three ways. They are…
- Set up yourself: You can make a simple eBook, checklist or even offer the PDF format of a popular post that is valuable.
- Hire someone to create a one for you (Outsource): There lots of freelancers who are capable of creating an incentive offer for your niche. You can find a good freelancer in Fiverr, Freelancer or UpWork.
- Buy a PLR with giveaway rights: There are lots of PLR products ranging from eBooks to video courses. But, you should find a good PLR product with giveaway rights. Because you are going to offer it for free, not resale. Check IDPLR for buying PLR for your opt-in offer.
Once you chose a good opt-in offer, the next thing is adding an opt-in form or subscription form to your Tumblr blog. Many email marketing services provide tools to design opt-in widgets for blogs. In GetResponse you can design a simple subscription form going to Forms >> Create form.
Also, you can check out CodeCanyon for more opt-in forms in HTML format.
The ultimate goal should be to collect as many people’s email addresses as possible. More is better. That way you can promote the latest posts to your subscribers and generate quick visits and shares. It all adds up at last…
Email marketing can be just more than promoting Tumblr. It can definitely be a new revenue scheme for your business.
#14: Test Post Types
Without testing, you can’t ever tell what performs better…
You can find different post types in Tumblr: Text, Link, Photo, Video, GIF.
Do you every day publish text posts? Didn’t try Photo post type?
Then try it.
Here are a few useful links for different post types.
1. Grammarly – Check and correct grammar errors, check comma errors, build vocabulary, and detect plagiarism instantly. Learn More about Grammarly.
1. Pocket – Save useful articles you find online.
1. Snagit – Capture your screen seamlessly and make GIF images.
2. Shortpixel – Compress images before uploading to Tumblr
1. Camtasia – Record screen and edit videos.
2. Rocketium – Make explainer videos
3. VideoMakerFX – Make whiteboard videos.
Try posting different post types in Tumblr and track the results for each one. Then you can understand what works best for you.
#15: Pinterest Marketing
Tumblr is a perfect photo-sharing network in one hand. As you know, Pinterest is the most popular social network dedicated to visual content and surprisingly it drives more referral traffic than Twitter, Google+ and StumbleUpon.
So, you can make use of Pinterest marketing to drive more traffic to your Tumblr blog.
Here are a few tips on how to get more traffic from Pinterest to your Tumblr.
- Create a board: Does your Tumblr contains funny quotes or hand-drawn artworks? Then why not create a new pinboard?
- Add Description: whenever you post an image from your Tumblr blog, make sure you describe the image. In that way, you can generate more impressions and also more traffic to the Tumblr blog.
- Brand in Pictures: To get a high value from Pinterest marketing, you could add the brand’s name on each image. A logo bottom of each image works perfectly.
- Add Pin it Button: To get more promotions, shares, you can add the Pinterest Pin It button to your Tumblr. Check Pinterest documentation for more details.
- Ask your followers to pin your images: One excellent way to get some social shares to your posts is by asking your fans to pin your latest images. Believe me, they will share. Good works + loyal readers = impressive results
Pinterest is growing in day and day. So, you should make use of the above tactics to drive free traffic to Tumblr.
Once you followed the above steps, go to Analytics.Pinterest.com to find out how your images perform. (ex: impressions, clicks, etc.)
#16: Ask followers to Promote your Tumblr
Unlike other blogging platforms, on Tumblr, you can find influencers easily. If any Tumblr user likes your content they might;
- Like post.
- Reblog post.
- Add a note
The more tasks they complete, they are more engaged with your content.
You can notify them whenever you publish a new post on Tumblr. Ask them to share your post on Facebook, Twitter or Google+. If your message is in clear and your post is high-quality, they will surely do it.
Influencer outreach is an effective way to get more promotions to Tumblr. But, you should have built a good follower base.
Previously I have shared an infographic on how to get more followers on Tumblr. Follow these tips to get more followers for your Tumblr blog.
#17: Viral Promotional tactics
Yes, you can use some viral marketing tactics to drive some high traffic to your Tumblr.
You run a contest where a few people with more points will win. To get more points, contestants have to complete more tasks and share the link with others to get more bonus entries.
While this method is not so effective like others, yet it can generate tons of traffic if done correctly.
Here are a few ways to utilize viral marketing tactics to promote Tumblr in a short time.
- Start a Giveaway: Ex: Amazon gift card or anything that is similar to your niche. Your primary goal should be to get more targeted traffic to your Tumblr.
- Run a contest: Ex: guest posting contest
You can use UpViral to run a viral giveaway or sweepstakes.
The last tactic to promote Tumblr is advertising.
Yes, this is a little bit costlier. But, you can still cost-effectively advertise to get more attention to your Tumblr.
But, remember that you should have a good advertising strategy, else your money will be ruined.
I haven’t tried this method yet. But, I think that, if your Tumblr primarily includes more attractive photos and viral videos, then setting up a paid ad will get more reach and make your Tumblr more popular.
This is just a thought. You should test each paid advertising network and target a specific audience to get more results.
Here are a few other adverting sites:
Note: Use with your caution.
- Google Adwords: The largest PPC network.
- Pinterest Adverting: Advertise on Pinterest.
- Facebook Adverts: Reach over two billion prospects. Promote Tumblr on Facebook and Instagram.
- Bing Advertising network: Advertise on Yahoo and Bing.
- Twitter Ads: Advertise on Twitter.
There are tons of other paid adverting channels ranging from banner adverting to PPV advertising.
You should learn how paid advertising works before tapping into any network. Because every network operates in a different manner.
The strategies which work in banner adverting are not adaptive to PPC marketing. The key point here is to learn before investing in ANY paid advertising method for promoting Tumblr.
You can promote your Tumblr in different ways.
Above are the best ways for that.
Hopefully, this is a complete guide to promoting the Tumblr blog.
If you enjoyed reading the article, please take a few seconds to share it with your friends on your favorite social network…
Do you have anything to share about promoting Tumblr blog like methods I didn’t mention? The comment form is below. Share your thoughts now!