Tracking SERP ranking for keywords is essential for any business, whether SEO is negligible or not. For the most part, you had to rely on Google Analytics or Search Console to find your website position for a keyword.
However, In this article, I will show you how to track search engine keyword ranking and get updates instantly so that you can keep updated on critical metrics that matter to your business.
Also, you will learn how to track local SERP rankings and monitor search engine positions for competitors very quickly and get alerts via email (or push notifications (optional)) when something happens!
Keyword Rank Tracking in Google Search Console
Google Search Console is absolutely a must-have SEO tool for webmasters. However, it is not convenient and flexible for some tasks.
For example, Google lists keywords and their average rank position during a period you specify in Search Analytics.
And if you wanted to see the current Google keyword rank (today’s), it’s impossible because it takes at least one day for Google to process data and deliver it.
Another disadvantage of using Google search console for tracking keyword rank position is you cannot find exact ranking for a specific geo-location. For example, if you want to find the keyword ranking in Los Angeles, CA, USA, you cannot accomplish it with Google Search Console
Why You Should Track Keyword Rankings In Search Engines
There are a lot of reasons why you should track keyword rankings immediately for your important keywords. Here are a few of them:
Learn WHY your SERP rankings are changed
If you’re in a very competitive niche and your websites are ranking on Google’s first page for highly important keywords to your business as a whole, there is no doubt that you should pay close attention to their performance.
Your business might solely depend upon those search queries.
Sophisticated keyword rank tracking software can identify daily ranking fluctuations, so you can adapt to changes and find out why the SERP position is changed.
Here’s a screenshot from a popular online keyword rank tracker app, SEMRUSH.
URL Rank for a specific keyword in a specific region – SEMRUSH
As you see, it shows the exact rank position for a keyword phrase of a website in a particular region.
Secure your Google keyword rankings
Writing one SEO-friendly article and expecting Google to consistently rank at a certain position on Google is wrong thinking. Due to various reasons like competition and regular Google updates, keyword rank positions are changed often than not.
By start tracking rank positions for keywords, you get to know when rankings are decreased and act accordingly.
Find new ranking opportunities
SEO is a challenging game. And the beauty of it is that it makes smart bloggers stand out. After setting up a keywords SERP tracking campaign, you can identify who is competing with you.
This allows you to run a content gap analysis and find out untapped keyword opportunities. Here is an example:
How to Track Keyword Rankings in Google
Google and Bing are the top search engines in the world. While Google dominantly owns more than 92% search share market worldwide.
I will show you step by step how to track keyword rankings in Google engines. Unfortunately, this article doesn’t cover monitoring search engine positions in Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex, and Duckduckgo. But you can assume that if your site is ranking at the top of Google for certain keywords, chances are high to rank them top on other search engines as well.
How to Track Keyword Rankings in Google Search Engine(s)
Google has several country-specific domains. For example, when someone in the United Kingdom googles something, they search on Google.co.uk (and related data such as search volume are stored under Google’s UK database).
Follow the steps below to track keyword ranking in Google.
The keyword rank tracking tool I use is SEMRUSH. It is equipped with over fifty different tools to help you grow your business via online marketing. Previously I talked a lot about Semrush and shared some tutorials on Semrush SEO Writing Assistant, SEO Content Template.
Its Position Tracking tool is one of the most used ones because of these key features:
- Monitor the rankings of any domain, subdomain, subfolder, or URL for the keywords you track on a daily basis.
- Check your position at the national or local level, on mobile or desktop devices.
- Analyze SERP features to boost your SEO strategy
- Discover essential competitors that you might have not identified before
- Get notified of the crucial position changes
- Export rankings as PDF, Excel spreadsheet
Step 1: First of all, you need to have a Semrush account to start tracking your keyword ranks. Semrush pricing plans include a free tier. But, if you want to remove boundaries and track keywords rankings at the local level, you need to upgrade to a paid plan.
Luckily, you can open a free Semrush trial account (worth: $119.95) for free
Click this link and create your free SEMrush GURU account.
Don’t forget to activate your account by clicking the activation link sent to the email address you signed up with.
Once logged into your Semrush.com account, go to the SEO Dashboard and click on the ‘Projects’ button to add a project.
Click on the “Create My First Project” green button.
Step 3: Enter your website or blog address into the Domain field and provide a name to your project.
If you enabled ‘Autosetup tools’, you will be given two more fields to add keywords to track and locations. As you could see, Semrush allows tracking SERPs position at the zip code level.
The allowed keywords limit will be depended upon the Semrush subscription.
Then click on the “Create Project” button.
Set up position tracking
In the SEO Project Dashboard area, you can see different tasks you can do with SEMrush.
Click on the ‘Set up’ button under the Position Tracking box.
- Site Audit: Get to know technical SEO issues with your site like broken links (internal and external), images without alternative text, meta tags, etc.,
- Position Tracking: Track keyword rankings within top 100 results in Google and Baidu. We are using this tool today to track keyword ranking.
- On-Page SEO Checker: Product SEO-friendly content with Semrush SEO Writing Assistant.
- Brand Monitoring: Monitor brand mentions on social media.
- Backlink Audit: Analyze your backlink profile and find out toxic links and link-building opportunities.
- Organic Traffic Insights: Uncover “not provided” keywords in your Google Analytics account with a few clicks.
Click on the ‘setup’ button under “Position Tracking.”
Once you clicked on the “set up” button, a pop-up box will show up…
Position Tracking Settings
In the Campaign stage, you will be asked to specify the domain (or URL), search engine, Device, location, and Business name for the local map pack.
You will see these options:
- Tracking Root Domain: *.pitiya.com. (all domains will be included into keyword monitoring)
- Tracking Sub Domain: https://www.pitiya.com (Only web pages under the specified sub-domain will be taken into consideration)
- Tracking URL: https://www.pitiya.com/how-to-use-semrush-grow-blog.html
- Tracking subfolder: https://www.pitiya.com/category/ or https://www.pitiya.com/category/seo/
Search engine tracking settings
- Search engine: Google or Baidu. Select Google.
- Device: Desktop, Mobile, Tablet.
- Location: Monitor keyword positions at the Zip code level. Once a location is selected you will be given another option to choose the language as well.
- Local Map Pack (optional): Enter the exact full name of your business if you want to track local Google ranking for a business entity.
The next step is adding keywords you want to monitor.
- Manually: Type each keyword one by one. One keyword per line.
- Campaign: Import keywords from another campaign
- From Semrush: Find keywords to track from Semrush keyword database.
- From Google Analytics: Connect your Google Analytics account with Semrush and fetch keywords to track ranking.
- From File: Upload keyword file from your local device. Supported formats are .txt and .csv.
Which keywords to track?
It depends on your needs. However, I recommend tracking the most important keywords to your business like money keywords that drive sales.
You can find them on your Google Analytics (if you have unlocked not provided & not set keywords) if you already started tracking conversion goals.
Note: With Semrush GURU plan you can track up to 1,500 keywords. So, make sure you don’t exceed the keyword allownace. You can create 14 more campaigns.
Once added keywords to your SandBox, click on the ‘Add to project’ button. Tick the box that says ‘Send me weekly updates’ to receive details about rank changes and click on the ‘Start Tracking’ button.
Analyze Google Keyword rankings
Position tracking details will be shown in your SEO Dashboard.
What is Visibility Index?
According to Semrush,
The Visibility index is based on click-through rate (CTR) that shows a website’s progress in Google’s top 100 for keywords from the current tracking campaign. A zero-percent visibility means that the domain isn’t ranking in Google’s top 100 results for any of these keywords; and a 100-percent visibility means that the domain keeps the first position in the SERP for all of these keywords.
Click on the ‘View full report’ button or click on the ‘Position Tracking’ link.
In this page you will see a massive amount of details about the keyword positions and their insights. For instance, Ranking distribution over days, keyword positions based on position category, keywords with positive and negative impacts, SERP features, competitors, cannibalization health are some of those.
Watch this showcase video to see statistics and graphs you can see.
Add new keywords
Click on the link next to Keywords label at the top and enter new keywords to the campaign.
Click on the ‘Add’ link next to the competitor’s label and add your organic competitors.
Check daily keyword ranking
On the Overview tab of Position Tracking in Semrush, scroll down the page and look for the Ranking Overview section.
Click on the row of a keyword to see its keyword ranking changes.
In the Ranking Distribution tab, Semrush Position Tracking tool will represent the keyword ranking of you and your competitors.
Identify new competitors
Semrush Position Tracking looks for every keyword change and lets you know if they found a new competitor.
Get notified by email if any changes in rankings
One of my favorite features of the Semrush Keyword Position Tracking tool is email alerts! When you track thousands of keywords, it’s impossible to keep eye on everyone manually. Instead what you can do is set up a trigger so that you will get an email notification if a significant change happens.
Click on the ‘gear’ icon at the top right corner and click on the ‘Triggers’ menu link.
There will be two default triggers. They will trigger when a keyword enters or leaves the first page on Google.
Click on Add new trigger button and specify conditions.
Position Tracking On the Go!
Since we used SEMrush to check Google SERP position daily, you can now keep updated on rankings on mobile with the SEMrush mobile app.
Analyze more data given by SEMrush, and you will find tons of precious information. Let it a few days operate. The more data the SEMrush position tracker tool collects, the more accurate information, and you can also make the most proper decisions for your SEO and content marketing campaigns.
Have only one variable at a time and change it to see how far dependent variables go. Your controlled variable might be the post title. When you split test post titles and make the winner title the meta post title, you will see changes in CTR, bounce rates, average time on page, and Google keyword ranking modifications.
SEO is a long-term game. It’s not a set-and-forget game either. If you think and act as a one-off task, you lose at it because Google changes its algorithm frequently to keep up with new trends, technological advances such as voice search and weep out low-quality content.
By tracking keyword rankings, you’re at least one step ahead of your competitors. Because you can,
- Analyze ranking fluctuations across entire website and see how SEO strategies you implemented have paid off. Is it in a good way or just in the bad way?
- Identify SEO strategies of competitors. Do they hire SEO services to prominently build backlinks or use influencer marketing (ex: social media promotion, blogger outreach, reviews, banner ads etc.) to increase rankings indirectly.
- Discover new opportunities. Have you heard about “Red ocean vs Blue Ocean”? Don’t swim in a place where huge, terrible sharks hanging around. Find a place where you feel you are safe and have opportunities that you are confident of you can actually succeed on.
- Improve search engine rankings. This is your ultimate goal in an SEO’s point of view. Tracking keyword ranking makes it so much easier for you to keep in good understanding about what work and what did not work. For example, not a too long ago, Google+ directly made a huge impact on search engine rankings. Same with secured pages (i.e: HTTPS) Now, more weight to high-quality content, user behavior, web security (not just SLL certificate but things like data protection and collection policies) and much more factors which are oriented to people.
Final words on SERP tracking keyword ranking
As a webmaster, blogger, and internet marketer who uses content marketing and search engine marketing as a tactic to generate more readers, leads, potential customers, and business advocates, you can see the importance of tracking keyword rank in Google.
I don’t know how to insist on this. However, when you started tracking rankings in SERPs, you would see many things that you can’t see just writing and posting articles on your site.
You will start seeing that subtle things make a significant impact on the overall result. And you will become more sophisticated and even start asking yourself questions like, “is it better off optimizing for a single medium-volume keyword phrase or low-volume keyword phrase?” (Hint: the answer might surprise you.)
Its SERP Position Tracker tool is the ultimate SEO tool you’d use as a website owner.
Position yourself in the shoes of search visitors before trying to position your blog on SERPs. That’s how I learned a lot of things about SEO and content marketing.
So, how do you find tracking keyword ranking helps in search engine ranking? Leave your comment below to let me know your thoughts.