Whether we like or not, backlinks are still Google ranking factor, and a backlink can make or break a site’s fate.
The site will be rewarded if a backlink is relevant, look-natural, and has high link juice (i.e., dofollow backlink). On the contrary, if a backlink is toxic or built from link farms like PBNs or low-quality sites, the site will be demoted from existing ranking and lose traffic.
That is why you should use a quality backlink checker to analyze your site’s backlink profile to determine the health of your backlink profile. Google Search Console does not help you a lot in this regard. Even though you get to know inbound links and anchor text, they do not tell the whole story. Do they?
So, you should use a tool like Semrush Backlink Checker to examine your links. Not only yours but also competitors too so that you can finalize your link-building strategy around competitors and follow which steps to take forward.
For example, suppose your competitors are using guest posting successfully to acquire backlinks. In that case, you can use the Semrush links checker and get a list of websites and ask for a guest posting opportunity.
What is Semrush Backlink Analytics tool?
- 17,280,000,000 URLs crawled per day
- 40,309,000,000,000 total backlinks
- 1,145,000,000 total referring domains
Advantages of using Semrush Backlink Analyzer
- The largest backlink database
- The fastest data updates
- Accurate data
- Trusted Authority Score
- Getting backlinks at the site level or page level
How to Use Semrush Backlink Analytics Tool to Check Backlinks
Go to “Backlink Analytics” under Link Building from your left-side menu.
Enter your domain URL and click on the ‘Analyze‘ button.
In a moment, you will be redirected to the Backlinks Analytics page.
Here is a video review of the Semrush Backlink Analytics tool. Watch it and read the rest below.
Overview report shows main parts of the backlink profile of a domain. You will see details like Authority Score, Referring domains, new backlinks found today, and backlinks categories at the very top.
Notice that Semrush’s Backlink checker shows the Overall Toxicity Score on this page. However, it is shown only because I audited the backlink profile with Semrush’s Backlink Audit tool before.
Just below the overview stats, you will see four charts showing the involvement of referring domains, backlinks, new and lost referring domains, and new and lost backlinks of a particular domain.
Clicking stamps will lead to particular pages. Just below of referring domains details, you will see the following:
- Categories of Referring Domains
- Top Anchors
- Referrign Domains by Authority Score
- Backlink Types
- Link Attributes
A good backlink profile has these features:
- Backlinks from same categories – Ex: If your site’s niche is pets, it make sense getting backlinks from pet niche rather than travel & tourism sites
- A mixture of anchor texts – Includes all anchor types such as exact match keywords, naked URLs, domain name etc.,
- Backlinks from high authority sites
- A fair division between follow, nofollow, and UGC (User Generated Content) backlinks
Below it, the Semrush Backlink Analytics Overview report show details like TLD (Top Level Domain) distribution, Link Profile distribution, Top countries by referring domains, and similar profiles (i.e., backlink competitors).
The Backlinks tab will display all the backlinks of the root, sub-folder, or URL of a domain you searched for.
Anchor or linking text is a big part of any link-building strategy. Check how your site or competitor’s anchor text is distributed.
The referring domains tab will show all backlinks, including lost ones. It includes search modifiers that allow you even to filter backlinks based on the Semrush Authority Scores.
Notice Semrush Backlink Analytics tool displays a short description of the category of referring domain underneath them. It’s is a clear indication of your site’s getting inbound links from relevant domains.
Referring IPs is a good indication to determine if a site is using link-building schemes such as PBNs. As a rule of thumb, backlink profiles should be distributed among different IPs.
The ‘Indexed Pages‘ section is the best place to check the backlinks of pages in Semrush Backlink finder.
It will show total backlinks, referring domains, external links from a page, and internal links. Therefore, if a top index page in terms of backlink amount has low internal backlinks on your site, edit the page and link out to relevant pages to pass the link juice (and page authority).
Semrush Backlink checker lists competitors based on the link profile similarities in Backlink Analytics.
Click the down arrow icon near Authority Score (AS) to see details like Backlinks, referring domains, monthly visits, and keywords of a competitor site.
Since Semrush has gathered a massive amount of backlinks data, it allows you to compare the backlink profile of multiple domains.
Type competitor domains and select the report scope. The root domain is chosen as default as the report scope.
In a moment, you will receive a detailed backlink comparison report.
At the bottom of the Semrush report, you will see the top link-building opportunities section in which you can see where you can acquire backlinks. It is based on competitors’ backlinks profiles. If you want more data, head over to Semrush Backlink Gap and find out more!
Top 3 Features of Semrush Backlink Checker
The first feature I like most about Semrush’s backlink checker is its reports. Like all Semrush reports, the Backlink Analytics tool provides many illustrations, charts, and data tables on various factors about a site’s backlink profile.
Here are several data points I find most useful in reports.
- Categories of referring domains
- External and internal links of a backlink page
- New and lost backlinks
- Top countries of referring domains
Check backlinks of domain, subdomain and URL
Not many backlink checker tools are capable of analyzing backlink profiles at the URL level. But, Semrush Backlink Analytics does.
Find new backlink opportunities with backlink comparison
One of the best ways to improve yourself is to analyze what your competitors are doing and what they are up to. Semrush is a great competitor analysis tool with many features.
Now by comparing backlinks of your site and competitors, you can find link-building opportunities.
Semrush Backlink Checker Alternatives
Semrush is not the only tool out there to analyze backlinks. Since backlinks are a Google ranking factor, many tools provide various functionalities to find backlinks and acquire backlinks and even buy backlinks.
Here are tools similar to the Semrush Backlink Analytics tool:
Semrush has both free and paid plans. Until 2022, the Semrush Backlinks Analytics tool is available for all Semrush users.
Learn more about Semrush pricing plans and feature comparison in this article.
Final words on Semrush Backlink Checker
Among many backlinks discovery and analysis tools, Semrush is one of those. They self-claim as the fastest backlink discovery tool. Since Semrush is more than a link-building tool, with a Semrush subscription, you can get access to many powerful tools like:
- Semrush Keyword Magic Tool — Find keywords for SEO and PPC projects. Semrush Keyword Research kit consists of several tools and Keyword Magic is the main tool to find new keyword ideas.
- Competitor Keyword Research — Get to know competitors top pages and keywords that drive traffic and sales to their businesses
- Topic Research — Find trending topics (supplement to keyword research)
- Page tracking tool — Monitor keyword rank of pages on Google and Baidu SERPs
- SEO Writing Assistant — Optimize content for SEO with recommendations
- Google rank checker — Analyze SERP for any keyword
- SEO Site Audit — A complete website audit tool
- Semrush Broken link checker — Find broken links of your site
- Keyword Gap — Identify keyword opportunities based on competitors
- Semrush Plagiarism checker — Find out the uniqueness of your written content
- Semrush Traffic Cost — Understand how much you would spend to drive the same organic traffic through Google ads
Learn more in this complete review on Semrush.
If you are a small business owner, using the Semrush backlink checker tool is worth the investment considering the value you get for the same amount of money compared with other backlink analysis tools.
So, what are your takes on the Semrush Backlink Analytics tool against competitors like Ahrefs and Moz? Let us know in the comment below.