In this article, you will learn how to earn money from BlogSpot by blogging.
In the age of information technology that has taken a big part in people’s lives, new blogs are popping up every day for many purposes. Some blog for fun, while undoubtedly, many people love to earn from blogging.
Blogspot or Google Blogger is a free blogging platform where anyone can start a blog. But the big question is, obviously, how to earn money on Blogger.
Can I earn from Blogspot?
When I started Pitiya.com on the BlogSpot blogging platform back in September 2012, I never thought I could make money online with my BlogSpot blog and take the blog to the current level.
However, after battling many obstacles and learning countless lessons about blogging and Internet Marketing through BlogSpot, I could finally make a decent income and move the blog to the WordPress platform. (I chose Bluehost as my first web-hosting)
I spent nearly three remarkable years on BlogSpot. Those days were delightful — many things learned, and I understood how to make money online with ZERO dollars in my pocket.
If you have the passion and determination to make it work, you can definitely earn money from Blogspot. I was able to make money from Blogger after several months of trial and error. But, I will share with you how to earn money from Blogspot rightly.
If you are unsure which steps to follow, this is the guide you should read from start to end— every single word.
I will share everything I learned about how to earn money through blogging for Blogger users. So, keep reading this article from the first word to the last word. I am pretty sure that you will learn A LOT of things.
One More Word From Me
If you enjoyed reading the article, please take a few seconds to share this article with your friends. It will help them a lot.
What You Will Learn:
- Nine different ways to make money blogging with your BlogSpot blog.
- Unique identifications, advantages, and disadvantages of each method.
- Tips to earn more money with blogging.
- Tools, software, and services I use for some money-making techniques.
Ways to Make Money Blogging on BlogSpot
- Can I earn from Blogspot?
- Ways to Make Money Blogging on BlogSpot
- Conclusion on how to earn money from Blogspot
Adsense is Google’s advertising placement program for website owners. It is the most popular CPC and CPM-based advertising network in the world.
In fact, top websites and blogs such as CNN, Forbes, WikiHow, Huffington Post, and Time magazine monetize their sites with Google Adsense.
Publishers can monetize their sites in a few distinct ways. They are,
- Text Ads on content
- Banner ads on content ( Both Static and animated banners)
- Paid listing on search boxes.
And advertisers can target people in a few different ways. A few targeting options are;
- Websites (can whitelist or blacklist sites)
- OS (Operating System)(
The above targeting options are as important as for you too. Because
- The majority of site visitors are from tier 3 or tier 2 countries,
- Language is not matched with advertiser’s landing pages/offers,
- Your website has low-quality traffic,
- Operating systems (s) are not profitable for advertisers,
- Device targeting is very narrow,
- Your site doesn’t have buyer keywords,
You will make less money with Google Adsense. (I will talk about how to increase your AdSense earnings later in this section)
How it works…
Making money with Google Adsense is very simple.
- You signup on Google Adsense.
- A member from Google Adsense will review your website.
- Decide whether your website adheres to webmaster guidelines and Google Adsense policy.
- Google Adsense approves your site.
- You make an ad on the Google Adsense dashboard. (on different dimensions)
- You place an advertorial on your BlogSpot blog. (On most occasions, sidebar, within the content and enable Google ads on Google search box)
- You make money from each click and impression.
The process looks easy to make money blogging with Google Adsense. However, many bloggers fail to make enough money, and some can’t get into Google Adsense.
Key Factors to Make More Money with Google Adsense on Your Blog
Your Adsense earnings solely depend upon a few key factors.
- Keywords: Probably the #1 factor to make a little money with huge impressions and make more money with little impressions. Using keywords in the proper places on your site is essential to making a good amount of income through blogging. Keyword research boils down to SEO. Check the FAQ section below to find out more details.
- Traffic Quantity: Google Adsense is also a CPM ad network. Therefore, the more impressions your blog generates, the more money you would earn from Blogger. And even if your ad placements get a low CTR, as your site generates more volume, it may get a pretty good amount of ad clicks. So, more money you’d make.
- Traffic Quality: CPM rates of sites like CNN.com, Forbes.com, and Entrepreneur.com are much higher than other sites that receive low-quality traffic. Generally, this happens because people who visit sites like Entrprenuer.com are business owners, managers, directors, and small business owners with higher household incomes per year.
- Your Niche: If your blog’s niche couldn’t or isn’t monetized yet, then you will not see higher Google Adsense earnings. Because when your site’s content has keywords that Advertisers have not bid on, your site visitors will see irrelevant or retargeted ads. They are generally cheap traffic for advertisers. Because Advertisers have either targeted a narrow audience (when retargeted) or no one comes to compete with them. (doesn’t start a bidding war)
- GEO Distribution: Some GEOs have more buying power than others. So, each group has been named Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3. Generally speaking, Tier 1 countries such as the USA, UK, Canada, and Australia spend more money online, so traffic Prices for these countries are high.
Meanwhile, SEO keyword competitions for those GEOs are also higher, which means advertisers spend a lot of money on those GEOs.
- Your Traffic Quality: When advertisers optimize their Adwords campaigns, if they find they get a high ROI from the traffic from your blog ads, they will create a unique whitelist campaign, target your domain, and bid higher for your site traffic. So, your Google ad clicks will get higher CPCs, so you will earn more money with Google Adsense ads.
- Keyword Competition: You will find terms such as “Low,” “Medium,” and “High” in Google Keyword Planner. They are meant for Google Ads advertisers. When a specific keyword converts better, and advertisers make a profit, they spend more money to increase the rankings of ads. So, it starts a bidding war. The more it continues, the more you will make and more money Google will make until advertisers stop the bidding war.
- CTR: CTR is the shortened name for Click Through Rate. It can also be expressed as the average number of clicks an ad receives per unique 100 visitors. Higher CTR means advertisements are clicked more, and so you make money. However, there are industry and site standard CTRs. Google has all this data. A suspicious high CTR could cause your Adsense account to be terminated.
- Placement: Generally, ads above the fold get more impressions and clicks. So, you should try to place your ad above the fold in most cases. Don’t overdo this because Google keyword ranking will be decreased as Google starts penalizing sites with extensive advertisements above the fold.
- Ad type, size, and Ad design: You can find a few ad sizes and types in your Google Adsense dashboard. Split test to find a good one that converts better for your blog’s audience. However, you can do much more things with the ad design. (for banner ads) It solely depends upon your advertisers. They will do their best to create attractive ads. Because higher CTRs are cheaper traffic for them.
These are the top key factors that matter to your AdSense earnings. As you see, many of the above points are variables that you can change.
Posting quality articles will attract quality traffic.
Quality posts with in-depth content will rank for more long-tail keywords with buyer intent.
First, you need to focus on maintaining an authoritative blog. So, you will make money from Google Adsense effortlessly.
FAQ about Making Money with Google Adsense
What are the meanings of CPM, Impression?
- CPM: Cost Per Mile. Cost for 1,000 impressions.
- Impression: The view of an element on a screen.
How to find high CPC keywords for your blog?
A good keyword research strategy will help you find high CPC keywords to increase Adsense earnings.
My personal and recommended tools for bloggers to keyword research:
- Semrush: The all-in-one SEO tool for every marketer. Read my Semrush review to learn more about this search engine marketing tool.
- BrandOverflow: A low-cost SEO tool for beginners. It possesses a variety of tools, including keyword research.
Exclusive Offer for Pitiya Readers!
Now you can open a free Semrush Trial account (PRO or GURU). It usually costs over $129.95/mo. However, I could negotiate with Semrush to give you a chance to try Semrush for free.
What is “Retargeting”?
Retargeting is a customer targeting method. It is generally used for targeting people who have abandoned the cart. Learn more about retargeting and use cases over here.
What is a “Bidding War” in PPC advertising?
If advertisers find certain keywords have a higher ROI, they increase the CPC bid to get more volume. It may be the beginning of a “Bidding War” when a few more advertisers start increasing the CPC bid.
How do I increase traffic to my BlogSpot blog?
There are a few ways to increase traffic to your blog. Here are a few.
- Organic Traffic: Also known as search traffic. Most blog sites receive the majority of traffic through search engines like Google.
- Social Traffic: If used right, social media marketing can lift your blog’s traffic by a high margin. Social networks such as Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok, and Instagram receive billions of unique monthly visitors. You can start by creating pages for your blog and sharing valuable content while sharing your latest posts to drive traffic to the blog and improve brand awareness.
- Q&A Sites: Quora is currently the most popular Question and Answer website out there. Be active on Quora, provide a helpful answer to build your following, and increase professionalism. Once you find a question related to your niche, link to your blog posts to drive referral traffic.
- Forums: People still use forums to get answers to their issues. Be an active member of related forums and develop your identity. Provide answers when they make sense. And link to your blog article(s) when it is necessary. Don’t spam on forums. Else you will be banned without giving excuses.
- Niche Communities: There are several communities for certain niches, such as SEO, Health, Education, and Relationships. These sites allow you to submit links to your blog articles. Make use of those communities to drive traffic to your BlogSpot blog.
Quality traffic will certainly help increase your Adsense earnings. Organic traffic is the #1 traffic source for most websites. So, I recommend optimizing your Blogger blog for search engines.
I suggest you check this article to learn how to write a blog post that search engines and people desire.
Affiliate marketing is one of the oldest and most highly profitable online money-making schemes. Some online marketers break even seven figures per year just by modeling affiliate marketing.
How it works…
The Affiliate Marketing structure is very simple, and ANYBODY can become an affiliate!
- You build a partnership or become an affiliate with one company or product, or service.
- You refer people to the product/service’s landing page.
- People convert into conversions.
- You make money — Usually, a commission is based on the product’s or service’s price.
The vast majority of companies utilize “affiliate leverage” as a medium to generate more sales.
In fact, it is a win-win and wins situation for all three parties.
- Product or service owner gets more sales. So, it increases revenue. No need to spend a dime on marketing.
- Affiliates make more money. Some affiliate programs offer recurring commissions too. So, affiliates make money as long as the customer pays.
- Customers solve their problems. And in some cases, they get discounts, so they save a few dollars while getting a solution for their issues.
Benefits of Affiliate Marketing
As an affiliate, you receive a lot of advantages by promoting a certain product or service. Here are some of them,
- You are not responsible for product or service: When you go through the affiliate marketing journey, you might face some terrible products. Obviously, you shouldn’t promote them. However, as the affiliate, you’re not responsible for product issues.
- You don’t have to maintain the product: The beauty of affiliate marketing is that you can still receive commissions by promoting it to your readers, even if you know nothing about a particular product or service. For example, I have promoted a few products on my blog. Bluehost is one of them. However, I am not a techy guy. But it doesn’t prevent me from making money by promoting Bluehost.
- You could make recurring income: Another awesome benefit of being an affiliate marketer is you could generate commissions every month as long as the customer pays his bill. Is it not awesome?
- Cost-effective: As you promote affiliate products from your blog, you get commissions without spending a penny on marketing. You just need to persuade people to buy through you. That’s all you have to do. Write once, and receive commissions every day!
- No Limit: Do you want to make $100 per day? Or $1,000 per day? You could — No conversion caps, especially in CPS.
- No GEO restrictions: As you know, some advertising models only accept people from certain countries. For example, Google Adsense doesn’t allow bloggers from certain countries to get into their networks. Affiliate marketing accepts you, everyone. No matter what country you are living in or your customers are.
As you see, affiliate marketing is awesome. Some big marketers, also known as “Super Affiliates,” make 6-7 figure income per month just promoting affiliate products.
As with every money-making method, you can see a few types of affiliate marketing. They are;
- CPA: You get paid once a person converts into a subscriber or a lead.
- CPS: You get paid once a person becomes a customer or buys something.
- CPI: You get paid once a person installs an App or software on their devices.
Here’s the catch.
Even though affiliate marketing is a highly lucrative online money-making method, getting started on it is not as easy as it looks.
In general speaking, You should understand the difficulty of each affiliate marketing model.
Getting someone to enter his email address or phone number is easier than getting his credit card and paying for a product.
That’s why promoting a simple CPA offer is easier when you get started making money on BlogSpot blog through affiliate marketing.
Finding affiliate programs is easy. But, maintaining each account, tracking conversions, and auditing commissions are not easy in the long run.
That’s why, since a decade ago, a few affiliate networks have started to fill this gap between advertisers (product owners) and affiliates (bloggers, YouTubers, and email marketers).
- List only quality products.
- Minimize fraudulent activities.
- Track conversions.
- Pay your payments.
- Work as a middleman between you and the advertising company.
Top Affiliate Networks for Bloggers
As a small businessman, you should choose an affiliate network carefully. Because promoting a product from a bad affiliate network can,
- Close your affiliate account when you are near to getting the Payout.
- Ban you from the network without giving ANY reasons.
- Throw your messages into the trash by NOT responding to you when you have an issue with an advertiser. (ex: you found you have lost some sales)
That’s why you should select one of these top affiliate networks. They are reliable and newbie-friendly.
Recommended Affiliate Programs for Bloggers
One of the most popular affiliate programs among bloggers. You can sign up easily by filling out the registration form. The ShareASale team will review your application and decide whether you are eligible to be a ShareASale affiliate.
- Hundreds of affiliate programs to select from different verticals
- High-quality sales tracking system (can see referral page, IP, etc.)
- Details about the performance of each product in the last 7 and 30 days. (ex: EPC, Conversion rates)
- Minimum Payout: $50
- Monthly payouts
- Different payout options
- Custom landing pages
- Custom creatives
- Black Friday special deals & Discounts
- Lack of Offers on some verticles
- Not handy if you’re looking to promote offers by using custom tracking tools.
- Can’t add pixels, postback URLs, etc.
- Made for Bloggers
Affiliate Marketing tools for Blogspot
Blogspot is not a feature-rich platform for affiliate marketing. Here are a few tools to help you earn more from Blogspot.
Display attractive, mobile-friendly Call-to-action widgets like Product boxes, comparison tables, Pros & Cons, and Top Picks boxes. Check out the Affiliatable review for more details.
Here is an example:
Not all email marketing tools support solo ad traffic. Aweber is a solo-ad-traffic-friendly email marketing service that is operating since 1998 and supports affiliate marketing businesses. If you are building your list to make money by promoting affiliate offers, Aweber is an excellent tool.
- Supports single opt-in and almost all landing page builders have direct integration with Aweber
- Drag-and-drop email creator
- Email split testing
- Web Push Notifications
- Get started on a 30-Days free trial
FAQ About Making Money With Affiliate Marketing
How much traffic will it be sufficient to make $100+ per month?
Unlike other blog monetization models, affiliate marketing works differently. As you have to make people do some activity such as submit an email address, PIN, and even buy something out from you, the traffic quality, your site’s authority, and your persuasive ability (copywriting skills) cause conversions.
Some sites with little traffic make $100+ easily, while other blogs are unable to convert traffic into sales.
PayPal withdrawal isn’t available in my county. How would I receive payments?
Most affiliate networks and affiliate programs provide various payout methods. However, if PayPal isn’t supported in your country. You can either,
- Use Payoneer. Payoneer is an online money processing service that supports 180+ countries worldwide. Read the Payoneer Review article to learn how it will help grow your blog’s revenue. Or
- Create a USA Virtual Bank account.
When your blog gets exposure from search engines, social media, and forums, you will receive a few requests from companies and product owners to write reviews about their products and services.
Paid reviews are an excellent method to earn quick cash from your blog.
How it works…
- You negotiated a price with the advertiser.
- You get paid.
- You write the article and publish it on your site.
- You notify the advertiser.
Always remember to:
- Negotiate a reasonable price: Explain to the advertiser how they will benefit in the long run. Be descriptive when discussing. Don’t be afraid to get started at a higher price.
- Ask whether they have an affiliate program: If they have, register. If they have not, increase the price.
- Discuss article length and get free access to the product or service for a few days to grab information for the review article.
- Receive payment first.
- Follow them up to get more advertorial offers, such as a banner ad.
Some advertisers will reach you by listing their products on your blog. But, they actually reach out to get a text link from your blog. Be aware of those people and have strict terms.
Think about the long run. Not a few bucks here and there.
Direct Banner Advertising
Another profitable way to make money from Blogspot. Advertisers and online marketers buy direct banner ads on a large scale. It is one stage of their scaling. So, you should be aware of what’s going on.
How it works…
- You send your media kit to your advertiser. Also, you may have to grant access to your tracking system. For example, you will have to make the advertiser a moderator (not an administrator) on Google Analytics.
- Advertiser analyzes your blog and traffic stats.
- You and the advertiser negotiate the price, ad type, placement, and size.
- Advertiser sends you creatives.
- Advertiser sends you payment.
- Set a time frame. In most cases, a month.
- Display the advertisement till the end.
Most direct media buyers prefer 350*250 (large rectangle) and 728*90 (leaderboard) ad types and show the banner ad above the fold.
Tips to make money with direct banner advertising for bloggers
- Have a good friendship with your client.
- Be speedy with responses. No one needs to do business with those who take days to respond to messages.
- Provide them with a test period.
- Entice them to buy banner placements on your site again by offering discounts.
- Reach other competitors and ask them to advertise on your site.
Do you know?
One banner ad helped me to migrate Pitiya.com from Blogger to WordPress!
Partner with Media Buying Networks
Another popular method among BlogSpot bloggers to make money online is partnering with media buying networks. You would have seen some websites (including Blogger blogs) make 4-5 figure income per month simply by selling ad spaces on their blogs with the help of a middleman. This middleman is the media buying network.
How it works…
- You register on a media buying network.
- List your BlogSpot blog. Add the description, provide traffic information and provide the URL to the blog.
- Set pricing model, the rotating number of ads, accepting banner ad types, sizes, etc.
- Media buyers find your site on the media buying network. (or from the ad spaces on your site.)
- Media buyer buys ad space(s).
- Media buyer uploads creatives and the tracking link to the landing pages.
- You accept or reject the offer.
- If you accepted the offer, the media buying network would immediately show the ad.
- Media buying network will cut off their portion, and you will own another portion. (ex: 20/80, 25/75, 30/70)
- You make money according to the conditions.
In media buying, there are essentially two pricing models.
- CPM: Advertiser pays for every 1,000 impressions.
- Fixed: Advertiser pays for a specific period. For example, 30 days.
Key Factors to Earn More Money Blogging with Media Buying Networks
The key factors to make money with media buying networks for bloggers.
- Traffic quantity: Especially for CPM-based advertising, your site needs to have a significant amount of impressions to make money. For example: if the CPM rate is $1.5, to make $15 per day, the banner ad should expose 10,000 times. In other words, your site must be able to generate 10,000 impressions to make $15 per day.
- Traffic Quality: Especially in the fixed pricing model, advertisers are cautious about clicks, conversion rate, and revenue, plus ROI. Some traffic sources (websites) have millions of impressions, but the traffic quality is very low.
- The authority: How authoritative is your blog? Advertisers preferably try to advertise on already-established sites such as Forbes due to the authority.
- Social Proof: The number of comments and social followers is also key factor advertisers search for before buying ad spaces on your site.
- Description: Add as much information as possible about your blog’s performance and authority. An excellent description could obviously change the panic mode into the buying mode.
- Transparency: Honesty and transparency are the new marketing. Be transparent with your statistics. If your site is barely new to the Internet, it could probably not generate a million impressions per month.
Top Media Buying Networks for Bloggers
Having many page views is the key to making money with media buying networks. Offer discounts and bonuses for your retaining customers. So, you could make more money for a long time and also increase CPM rates.
Become a Publisher of Native Ad Networks
Native ad networks arose a few years ago. Unlike Adsense, most Native ad networks are affiliate friendly. So, many advertisers spend 3-4 figures per day on native ad networks. So, there are huge opportunities for you as a blogger to make steady through Native Ad networks.
Look at these images.
Now you see what native ads look like.
They are placed on your site as “internal links.”
People don’t see them as Advertisements.
Therefore, Native ads get higher CTR.
So, ultimately you make more money.
How it works…
- You sign up with a Native Advertising network.
- Native advertising networks show ads according to the content on your site.
- People click on the ads.
- Advertising network cut off their portion. You get paid the other portion.
Top Native Advertising Networks to Make Money for Bloggers
Like media buying, to make a significant income through native advertising, your blog should receive a significant amount of traffic.
Providing services such as coaching is absolutely a perfect way to get into Internet marketing. In fact, if you provide such services, you are a few steps ahead of other bloggers.
Yes, getting customers for your services is harder. But, the experience you collect along the way and the outcomes of being a service provider are immense.
How it works…
- You select one aspect you are very knowledgeable and experienced in.
- Find opportunities in the market. I suggest looking in forums to understand the problems your potential customers are facing.
- Plan your service. Is it a coaching service? Or a one-time service?
- Design landing page.
- Promote your service on the blog.
You can use forum marketing and write more tutorials related to your coaching on your BlogSpot blog to get more attention and customers.
Providing services seems challenging to earn money online. However, if you find the right angles and use your marketing abilities, it would be easier to get more clients.
Sell Your Products
To promote your products, you must not have to buy expensive tools. You can use your BlogSpot blog to host selling pages if you’re on a small budget.
How it works…
- You create your digital product.
- Hire a designer to design your product selling page. Or buy an HTML template from Themeforest.
- Upload your selling page to your BlogSpot blog.
- Drive traffic. Make money.
If you want to sell an eBook or something like that, use Gumroad. They are cost-effective, and you don’t even have to worry about the payment processing side.
Build Your Email List
List building is a perfect way to build an audience that listens to you. So, no matter whether you are using BlogSpot, you can reach out and build a business anytime.
I procrastinated list building when I was first starting my blogging career. However, I finally understood that I must begin to build an audience because 90+% of visitors won’t ever come to my site.
The best way to build an audience is through email marketing.
How it works…
- You register with an email marketing service such as GetResponse. They offer a free 30-day trial for beginners. So, create your free GetResponse account to get started on email marketing. (Read the ultimate GetResponse review to know more about GetResponse ESP, its benefits, etc.)
- You create a campaign for your blog.
- You set up the autoresponder for your campaign. So, you can send emails automatically every week or so to build a relationship with your readers.
- You collect people’s email addresses and names to get them on your list.
- After a few informative emails, you send an offer as a treatment for an issue.
- People purchase offers. You make money.
Even if your Blogger blog is barely new, I still recommend you start building your email list. It will certainly help in the future.
Is Blogspot good for making money?
It depends on your monetization strategy. Blogspot lack features such as banner & ad display plugins comparatively WordPress (Self-hosted). However, you can still earn money on Blogger via other forms like sponsored posts, reviews, promoting affiliate offers, and Launch Jacking.
How does Blogspot make money?
Can I monetize my Blogger blog?
Yes, you can. Here are nine ways you can monetize your blog.
Does Blogspot pay bloggers?
No, Blogspot does not pay bloggers for blogging. But, bloggers can monetize a Blogspot blog to make money.
Conclusion on how to earn money from Blogspot
BlogSpot is a good blogging platform for people who want to make money online without a huge investment.
You can certainly make money from your BlogSpot blog. If someone says you can’t make money blogging with Blogger, it means he failed to make money online with Blogger or tried to sell another money-making product for you.
Don’t listen to those, and start building your blog. Put your every possible effort into growing the blog. If you are struggling to optimize your blog for search engines, I strongly recommend reading my guide to BlogSpot SEO.
If you are getting started, you can try Google Adsense. However, my recommendation is Affiliate Marketing.
Once you make a nice monthly income, you can migrate your blog from BlogSpot to WordPress.
Be patience. Work hard. One day your hard work will certainly pay off.
I could bet on that.
So, what is your favorite blog monetization method? Mine was direct banner advertising and affiliate marketing. So, what are yours?