You will find out the two best keyword research tools every blogger must use in this article.
Without content marketing, we can’t talk about SEO. In search engine optimization, keyword research takes a major role because it helps you drive targeted traffic and predict how much traffic you can drive by using certain keywords.
If you don’t use keywords in your posts, you are really walking on the wrong path. In content SEO, keyword research is essential. Actually, without a proper keyword strategy, you can’t drive targeted traffic.
In my previous few posts, I talked more about keyword research and some ways to do keyword research. You can check these posts by clicking the links below.
- The importance of Keyword Research in search engine optimization
- Do Long Tail Keywords Matter in Search Engine Optimization?
- I Wanted to Check My Competitors Keywords, Here’s How I did
Why should you use more than one keyword research tool?
You probably think that you can use only one online keyword research tool to find keywords for content marketing campaigns. But the important thing is that each keyword research tools have different features, tools, limits, flexibility. Ex: Google Keyword Search tool provides up to 800 related keywords while other paid keyword research tools give you more keywords ideas.
But, that does not mean you must use every keywords finder out there. Instead, you should stick with one proven to work well, particularly have big data, and frequently update the databases.
So, there are the two best keywords research tools I suggest for every blogger.
Best keyword research tools for Blogging You Should try out Today
Semrush is a complete digital marketing toolkit with vastly different tools and features. Among over fifty tools of Semrush, Keywords Magic and Keywords Analytics tools are two of my favorites!
Also, a specific but very useful tool of Semrush is the Competitor Analytics takes the whole operation to another level. That is finding keywords of other top websites in your niche.
Here are some uses:
- You can find new keywords opportunities to drive similar traffic to your site
- You can find keywords that you are not used yet but your competitors are.
- Find out the top web pages of your competitors and build up better content on your site so that you can defeat your competition
Not only just competitors’ keywords, but you can also find backlinks of your competition as well.
Unlike Google Ads keyword research tool, the Semrush keyword tool provides you thousands of keyword suggestions which are people use in the particular search engine.
Features: There are a lot of features in the Semrush search engine marketing tools. I recommend you read the review of Semrush to learn more about Semrush and How it can help grow your blog.
- Ability to do local keyword research: Local SEO is very popular these days as offline marketers started using the Internet to acquire new customers. Finding keywords that your target audience uses is very easy with Semrush. In fact, many offline marketers use local search for acquiring new customers.
- Live Updates: One of my favorite features in Semrush’s search engine marketing tool is live updates. Semrush-bot crawls the web every day to get fresh data. So you always get new information about your quest.
- Historical Data: Want to find the performance of a certain keyword in a particular search engine? So use Semrush historical data to learn more information that Google Adwords hides from you.
- CPC distribution: You can find certain CPC values of keywords for specific countries using Semrush. It’s a very useful way to make more money through PPC advertising networks such as Google Adsense. If most of your blog audience is from Canada, you can find more high CPC keywords for Canadians using Semrush.
- Phrase Match Report: This keyword report could include thousands of keywords that people use in search engines.
- Related keywords report: Very useful section to find related keywords that people use on a regular basis. Unlike Adwords-related keywords, this report gives you thousands of search terms that your competitor might not use in their content strategies.
- Keyword Difficulty Tool: This is one of my favorite tools in Semrush. By using this tool, you can find how much effort you need to put in order to rank it on Google or Bing’s #1 page.
- Google SERP report: This report lists the top 10 organic search results for a particular search term. Also, since Semrush has Clickstream data, you can actually find out the estimated traffic distribution among top placements in Google SERP!
- Various Export facilities: If you want to use keyword reports offline or want to download keywords and use them on your blog posts, you can export reports as branded PDF files or export keyword lists in Excel or. CSV format.
- Tracking Keyword positions: This is one of my favorite items in the Semrush Keyword research tool. By using the keywords tracking tool, you can track your web pages’ SERP positions for each keyword every day.
Besides these features, you can also find the best converting, traffic driving, and easy to rank keywords using Semrush. I always use the Semrush keyword research tool to find untapped keywords that my competitors already are using.
Limits and Disadvantages: You have to upgrade to get more features such as Historical data.
But if you want to launch more in-depth analysis and getting more features such as historical data (very useful to find keyword trends over the history), branded PDF reports for clients, and more extended limits, you need to subscribe to a Semrush GURU account.
Semrush Guru package costs $229.95 per month. But it’s worth it subscribing to a Semrush Guru account, as you can find more untapped keywords.
I recommend you to use Semrush as part of your SEO and content marketing campaign, not just only because it has powerful tools to analyze keywords because it saves your time & effort and gives you more convenience to find untapped keywords.
- How to use Semrush for Blogging
- How to calculate organic visiotor cost with Semrush
- LongTailPro vs Semrush: Which is the best keyword research tool?
- Free SEO tools similar to Semrush
- How to stop Semrush subscription
WriterZen is another excellent keyword research tool for content marketers. One very reason why I listed it here is the ability to finding low competitive keywords with high ranking potential on Google SERP for your location.
For instance, you can filter keywords based on the length of words, Allintitle metric in Google SERP and KGR (Keyword Golden Ratio).
Keyword Golden Ratio (KGR) finds the best keywords that are underused by others and Google is eager to find new content.
Also, the Keyword Cluster feature in WriterZen gives you a picture of which keywords to use on your site to perform better on Google SERPs. Watch this video by Daniel from WriterZen.
There are many features in WriterZen. I recommend signing up for free over here and give it a try and see how WriterZen tools can help to grow your business.
Google Search Console
One of the most unused tools by bloggers is the Google Search Console.
Maybe it’s because it is free, and people think free keyword research tools can’t be helpful. Or maybe people do not know how to use it properly.
Frankly, you should be using Google Search Console frequently so that you’d get familiar with the tool and know how to use it well to improve organic traffic.
Once you add your website to Google via Google Search Console (GSC), Googlebot will check your sitemap for new articles. If your site has new articles, Google will index the content and add it to their database.
Depending on the quality of content, keywords competition, and the domain’s authority, new articles would start receiving traffic from Google.
Also, the data such as search impressions, keywords ranked, rank position, etc., would be provided in the GSC. Since Google directly provides these data, GSC performance data is one of the most valuable assets of your business.
Because competitor analysis tools such as Semrush, Ahrefs, and Majestic cannot actually know your search engine data.
Log in to your GSC account over here and navigate to the “Performance” section.
Now you would see the performance report for the last quarter. You can change the time period and get bigger and most accurate data. Also, filter search queries that contain a certain part. For instance, you can find out keywords with the ‘How to’ phrase.
Features of Google Search Console:
- Find exact keywords inner pages are ranked for in Google
- The ability to look for keywords that your site ranked for Video and Image searches
- The functionality of comparing performances over a previous period
- Determine geo locations and devices used by searches
- Understand the search appearance (ex: rich snippet results, FAQ, Instant Answer box, etc.,)
- Get to know toxic backlinks and disavow them to keep backlink profile clean
What I recommend is researching low competition keywords through Semrush at first and publish the article. Once it got eyeballs on Google, you start seeing GSC data, optimizing articles to improve rank for existing keywords, and adding new ones by carefully looking at the GSC Performance report.
- How to add your site to search engines
- Keyword Hero Review — Unlock ‘Not Provided’ Keywords in Google Analytics with session data
- Design blog post featured images with RelayThat
- Check traffic of any website
Conclusion on Best Keyword Research Tools for Bloggers
Keyword research is one of the fundamental steps in building a quality website that receives high-quality traffic from search engines.
It will be difficult to compete with your competitors if you don’t use robust keyword research tools, especially if you are in a contentious niche.
Yes, there are many keyword research tools. But, most tools are either have common features (thus do not give you an edge) or do not have their own servers to collect data. (thus makes them secondary tools).
That’s why I listed the two most important tools to find keywords for blog posts.
So what is your favorite keyword research tool? Share your thoughts in the comment form below.