Today, I will be comparing Long Tail Pro vs Semrush to help you decide which SEO tool suits your needs ultimately.
Probably Long Tail Pro and Semrush are the two most popular SEO tools for keyword research.
Both tools have a long history of serving millions of webmasters, SEOs, digital marketing agencies, and bloggers like you.
But, what is the best SEO tool among LongTailPro vs. Semrush for you?
In this LongTailPro vs. Semrush review, I will be comparing these two and digest important aspects of each to get a clear picture of the best value for money.
- Key Differences between Long Tail Pro and Semrush
- Main Advantages of Using SEMrush over Long Tail Pro
- Why should you start using Semrush?
- What are the disadvantages of using Semrush?
- Why should you start using Long Tail Pro?
- What are the advantages of using Long Tail Pro?
- What are the disadvantages of using Long Tail Pro?
- Semrush vs Long Tail Pro Pricing Comparison
- Long Tail Pro vs Semrush: Which is the best SEO tool?
- Long Tail Pro vs Semrush Conclusion
Key Differences between Long Tail Pro and Semrush
If you are looking for an SEO tool for keyword research, competitive analytics, link building, content optimization, etc., Semrush is obviously the main choice here. But, if keyword research is a big part of your SEO campaigns, then Long Tail Pro has an advantage.
Main differences between LongTailPro and Semrush are:
- Semrush is not just an online SEO tool. But also provides a WordPress plugin, a Chrome browser extension for social media posting, an app for Google Workspace users to use on Google Docs, and mobile applications for Android and iOS for tracking keyword rank positions on Google. However, LongTailPro is only an SEO tool for online use.
- The prime features of LongTailPro are around keyword research. Whereas Semrush provides over 40 different digital marketing tools.
- Semrush has longer historical data so that if you want to know the performance of a keyword over time, for example, you can only do it on Semerush. Whereas, LongTailPro’s keyword historical data are not long enough.
- SEMrush has Clickstream data, whereas LongTailPro does not use clickstream data
- Semrush has a powerful SEO Dashboard that helps you manage all your websites at ease. You can do pretty much anything such as tracking keyword rankings, audit website for SEO and HTML structure errors, write SEO optimized content, schedule posts for social media, etc.
- Semrush uses its own far advanced mechanism for keyword difficulty calculation and calculating the authority of a website. LongTailPro uses third-party scoring systems such as Moz’s Domain Authority.
- The biggest advantage of LongTailPro over Semrush is the long tail keyword research. Apart from that LongTailPro does not have/offer tools that Semrush offers for free.
Main Advantages of Using SEMrush over Long Tail Pro
Because Semrush is a dedicated digital marketing toolset, it makes it a powerful SEO tool. In contrast, you have to connect all your Google Search Console, Google Analytics, and Adwords tools to start using your LongTail Pro account.
Here are key advantages of using Semrush over Longtailpro:
- For $99 per month, you can start using over forty (40) different tools for fulfilling every need for many aspects of your online business. That is less than $3 per tool in general speaking!
- Semrush is one of the best tools if not the best when it comes to competitor analysis. You can find competitors’ marketing strategies, compare sites to find common and unique keywords for example. But, LongTailPro lacks this key feature that is very important to succeed in 2021 and beyond.
- Semrush is a trusted data provider. Another key advantage of using Semrush over LongTailPro you’d get is the most relevant data. Semrush provides traffic, search, brand mentions, advertising, social media, and content data over 30 tools for 140+ countries. So, you cannot go wrong with Semrush!
Why should you start using Semrush?
There are three main reasons why you should start using Semrush.
Reason 1: Value for money
For just $99 per month, you will get access to over 40 different tools to make your business grow every month.
If you buy separate tools for each need, you would be paying much, much more than $99 a month.
- Keyword research tool alternative to Semrush: KeywordTool.io Pro Plus – $99 / month
- Social media marketing tool alternative to Semrush: ContentStudio.io Pro (Solo Marketer) plan – $49 / month
- Link Building tool alternative to Semrush: Ahrefs Lite plan – $99 / month
- Content marketing tool alternative to Semrush: Postpace, Textmetrics, Frase.io, and WriterZen – From three figures to four figures per month
- Content and PR alternative to Semrush: Awario Pro plan – $89 / month
- Site Audit alternative to Semrush: WebSite Auditor by SEO PowerSuite – Professional plan – $199 / year
- Link building email outreach alternative to Semrush: MailShake Pro plan – $59 /month/user
- Keyword rank tracking alternative to Semrush: BrandOverflow Pro 500 – $39 / month
Potential Savings of using Semrush over LongTailPro:
Three to four figures every month, depending on your needs!
These are just a few features that Semrush provides for every plan, including the Pro, which costs $99 a month. If you chose LongTailPro over Semrush, you would spend $37 per month. But, as you could see, you will pay way more than $99 a month for other tools.
Reason 2: Stay ahead of competition
Online marketing is very competitive. Most companies spend thousands of dollars on SEO. Why?
Because the cost of PPC or Contextual advertising has grown over the years, organic traffic is cheap and very sustainable in the long term.
One area where Semrush dominates the space is the Competitor Analysis.
Semrush has these features/tools that could take your business to a whole new level than ever before.
- Gap analysis — Understand the strengths of your competitors.
- Competitor Traffic analytics module — One of the best tools to find how much traffic a site receives.
- Marketer Explorer — Identify market value, audience details, competition, trends, and more.
Unfortunately, LongTailPro is far behind when it comes to competitor analysis. You would have to use an alternative such as Similarweb or Complete.com. But, I do not think you would get the data and the flexibility equally as Semrush presents you.
Reason 3: Data
The 21st century is all about data and technology. Semrush is a robust and sophisticated tool with tons of data.
If you want to go big and scale your business, you should give a Semrush try over Long Tail Pro.
Why should you start using Semrush?
Besides the above main advantages of using Semrush over LongTailPro, there are more reasons why you should start using Semrush.
- Semrush is current and future, not past: SEO and digital marketing space as a whole expand rapidly. As a result of that new trends, updates to Google such as Core Web Vitals, and futuristic innovations come the stage. Semrush is not an SEO tool with outdated metrics and data. For example, once Google added Position Zero to SERP, Semrush added it to their feature list and now you can find which keyword phrases rank for Position Zero easily. But it is not simple as that in the Long Tail Pro because it does not have a SERP lookup tool.
- Historical data: Semrush has collected lots of data. If you subscribe to their Guru Plan which costs $199 a month, you can go back past years and find keywords on a site or page ranked in a particular region. How awesome and useful is that? But, LongTail Pro does not have historical data at all.
- Local SEO: Want to optimize your content for a specific region? Semrush is capable of it. Long Tail Pro does not have those Local SEO friendly features.
- SEO experts use it and recommend: Last but not least, Semrush is used by most of those so-called “SEO gurus” and even many of them recommend it for marketers and business owners.
What are the benefits of using Semrush?
If you used Semrush over Long Tail Pro, there are many benefits. Here are just a few of them:
- A new way of keyword research — The Keyword Magic Tool takes keyword research to a new level by providing you more keywords in an organized way that Long Tail Pro does not.
- Optimize content in WordPress dashboard — If you use WordPress to manage your blog, now you can use Semrush to optimize content for better ranking in Google.
- Manage all your link building campaigns — Find link building opportunities and get a high success of building more links with ease.
- Spy on competitors’ keywords — Find keywords of any website or web page.
- Find desktop and mobile keywords — One huge advantage of Semrush over Long Tail Pro is it can separate keywords that are used in Desktop versus Mobile.
- Visualize the exact position of keywords, and how well they rank for a region.
What are the disadvantages of using Semrush?
The only reason I can think of not using Semrush is the starting pricing tag.
Semrush subscription packages start at $99 a month, which might be too much for a beginner.
However, considering the value you get for the money, Semrush is totally worth it.
Besides having to pay $99 per month, there are no downsides to Semrush. They release updates regularly and launch new tools at a reasonable pace. Databases are fresh, and the Semrush crawler indexes over 825 million domains for new keywords and backlinks. You get all these for $99/month.
Why should you start using Long Tail Pro?
LongTailPro started as an SEO software. However, they switched to the cloud version within the last couple of years. Since then, they have improved their user interface and added features.
One struggle of using a free keyword checker such as the famous Google Keyword Tool is that you will receive keyword suggestions that everyone gets. Plus, the search volumes are in ranges not exact.
So, it is difficult to build up a keyword research strategy alone by using Google Keyword Tool.
However, Long Tail Pro resolves this issue by far by introducing long-tail keywords.
Here are three reasons why Long Tail keywords are better:
- Low organic competition — Usually, long-tail keywords have got low to none competition in organic search results.
- High search intent — You can write content precisely and Google will know what your content is about quickly
- Better opportunities — You can write more content around the main keyword and arrange a clever content strategy that could outrank many other sites in SERP.
Long Tail Pro specializes in long-tail keywords research. Therefore, if you are looking for a better alternative to freemium keyword research tools, Long Trail Pro is worth a shot.
What are the advantages of using Long Tail Pro?
In this Long Tail Pro vs. Semrush comparison, I shared why Semrush might be a better choice for you. Here are several benefits of using Long Tail Pro.
- Get long-tail keyword ideas from head terms — LongTail Pro generates up to 400 long-tail keywords from one seed keyword.
- Find what’s working for your competitors — Just like Semrush, you can find keywords your competitor sites are ranking for
- Find the viability of a keyword in a niche
- Find websites ranking on Google, Yahoo, and Bing.
- Track your keyword rank positions in search engines
- Find new niches for your event or small niche blogs with high profitability.
- Content Planning to organize articles
- On-page SEO optimization
What are the disadvantages of using Long Tail Pro?
Although Long Tail Pro is comparatively a new SEO tool, it started adding new tools such as Keyword grouping and Rank tracking over the previous years. However, for $37 per month, you’d receive limited features.
- Keywords data is based on Google Keyword Planner — You can bet that others will also use those because data is not exclusive.
- You can track only 30 keywords overall each month whereas the Semrush Pro plan allows up to 500 keywords a month with daily updates.
- You can only search for 10,000 keywords after 30 days whereas the Semrush Pro plan allows 3,000 reports per day and 10,000 results per report! That is 30,000,000 (30 million) results per day alone!
- Cannot get a competitive advantage over others — Although Long Tail Pro is a good long-tail keyword search tool, you cannot do pretty much most other things such as link building, traffic analytics, compare multiple websites with yours, etc., So, the others who use Semrush over Long Tail Pro will get a competitive advantage.
Semrush vs Long Tail Pro Pricing Comparison
Semrush has three paid plans:
- Pro — $99/month
- Guru — $199/month
- Business — $399/month
Here are key features and feature unlocks in each plan.
- 10, 000 results per report
- 3,000 reports per day
- 3 Projects
- 1 target per project
- 500 keywords to track
- 100,000 pages to crawl per month
- 50 social profile for monitoring
- Unlocks historical data feature
- Keyword cannibalization report
- Unlocks the access to Content Marketing Platform toolset
- Unlocks product listing ads
- Google Data Studio integration
- API access, white-label reports, and extended limit sharing options
Long Tail Pro Pricing
Long Tail Pro has three plans:
- Monthly Starter — $37/month
- Monthly Pro — $67/month
- Monthly Agency — $147/month
Here are the features of each subscription level.
The Starter plan allows only 800 keyword searches a day, while the Pro plan lifts it to 2,500. Also, the Pro plan limits the tracked keywords to 200.
Long Tail Pro vs Semrush Pricing: Which is better in terms of value for money?
LongTail Pro provides keyword research-related features specifically, while Semrush provides a wide range of tools and features.
In terms of value for money between Long Tail Pro and Semrush, Semrush clearly wins here.
How does Semrush stand out from Long Tail Pro?
- Semrush provides over 40 tools for $99. That is less than $3 for each tool per month!
- Semrush has very crucial features for SEO such as Website Audit
- Semrush provides tools for SEO, PPC, and SMM for businesses involving in various fields including eCommerce, SaaS, media buying, and blogging.
- Even though the Long Tail Pro’s highest plan which is the Agency ($147/mo) provides up to 1,000 keywords tracks a month, considering the features you receive from Semrush Pro ($99/mo), Semrush is a clear winner of LongTail Pro vs Semrush review.
Long Tail Pro vs Semrush: Which is the best SEO tool?
If you are looking for a low-cost keyword research tool, give Long Tail Pro a try. For just $37 per month, you can search up to 800 keywords a day and track 30 keyword rank positions per month.
However, if you want to take full control over online marketing, I recommend giving Semrush a try.
For $99/mo, you will get access to 40+ tools that are competent, reliable, and give you accurate and bigger results.
Furthermore, if you sign up earlier, you will be locked in the price you signed up for, and your subscription fee might not be increased over time. The people who signed up to Semrush Pro when it was $67 are still getting all updates and features for just $67/mo.
Long Tail Pro vs Semrush Conclusion
It is critical to have a keyword usage strategy in your content marketing campaigns. That is where these two tools stand out.
Both provide an ideal stage for research niche keywords for your campaigns. Long Tail Pro specializes in niche keywords research, while Semrush does much more than competitor analysis and content optimization.
For just $37/mo, you can give LTP a try. However, if you are serious about your business, Semrush is the tool you need.
Not only because of the value for money, but also the data and the feature-set that you can use in a single dashboard without using separate tools.
So, which SEO tool would you choose between Long Tail Pro and Semrush?
- Semrush Review: All you need to know
- Long Tail Pro review: Is this SEO tool worth it?
- Best Long Tail Pro contenders
- Best alternatives to Semrush
- How to use Semrush for a blog
- Semrush free trial offers