What if I told you, you can check competitors’ keywords within a few minutes?
Yes, find competitors keywords that drive thousands of search traffic to your competitors’ websites every single day…
Let’s assume that you are new to Internet marketing and want to know what works in our niche (past and now) and learn HOW those authoritative websites dominate the Google SERP using proper on-Page and Off-Page SEO strategies such as Image optimization, keyword research, Long Tail Keyword combination, and link building techniques.
Seems like there is no other way despite asking them to show you their traffic reports, right?
But, what if I show you one of my competitor websites search queries which make the site owner richer and richer every day?
And teach you how you too do the same thing, finding competitors keywords under five minutes?
Sounds good, right?
Then, keep reading and you will find out how I conducted a competitor keyword analysis campaign within 5 minutes.
Last thing you want to do is get one thing from today’s post…
…That could be learning HOW to find keywords of ANY competitor you have regardless it is a website or YouTube channel.
Ready to spy on competitors’ forbidden reports?
So, let’s do this… 1,2,3!
What is competitor keyword Analysis?
When it comes to search engine optimization, keywords take an important role, in terms of traffic, conversions, and sales. Without a proper keyword strategy, you can’t grow your business. It’s a reality.
Keyword research is more important than creating content, social media optimization, and link building.
Keyword research == Marketing research.
If you target the wrong market, your business won’t grow in spite of receiving tons of traffic.
They all are irrelevant.
There is not ANY doubt that your competitors use the best SEO keywords and best keyword strategies if they tend to increase their revenue with traffic consistently.
Quality always, in most occasions surpasses quantity. You know it pretty well, right?
Honestly, I didn’t understand the importance of competitor research when I first started blogging back in 2012.
But, after making lots of flaws and experimenting with new tactics to increase search traffic, I thought, why my quality content doesn’t rank on Google #1 page, #1 spot just like my competitors?
What my competitors produce, they used to rank on the Google #1 page within a few weeks. Very sad, right?
Then I thought I want to know the answer to “What keywords are my competitors using?”. This question entirely changed my blogging style, content marketing, and SEO strategies I was using in those days. It helped me drive high-quality traffic that converts like breeze.
In fact, after analyzing competitors keywords, I was able to increase my email subscribers and affiliate sales.
Here are a few benefits you can expect that you can accomplish after doing a complete and practical competitors keyword research campaign.
- Market Research: What if you don’t know or missed any part of your niche? You can widen your market reach by analyzing competitors keywords. I started targeting a small audience and then after finding competitors SEO keyword, I found very profitable niche markets that I can easily tap into. For an example, you can first write a normal list article on Best Twitter Tools. Then you can write more articles such as increasing Twitter followers, Twitter unfollow tools, social media marketing tools etc.
- Drive More Traffic: You want traffic, right? In fact, More traffic. By analyzing competitors best organic keywords, you can find tons of keyword phrases that can be ranked on SERPs easily. The funny part is most of those search terms are low competitive ones. That means, you can drive more traffic to your website without struggling. Ex: LSI keywords, Long Tail Keywords.
- Identify Your website’s competitiveness: You want to find competitor keywords, right? But, what if they spy on your keywords and use SEO techniques to outrank your website? By using a powerful competitive analysis tool, you can check your website’s weak points and make necessary arrangements to fix them. Ex; Keyword diversification, keyword stemming. deep internal linking, cross-linking.
- Keyword Opportunities: You can find untapped keywords that Google keyword planner hides from you, but your competitors use them and dominate Google search result pages. If you still use Google keyword planner to find SEO keywords, unfortunately you can’t find hidden gems of keywords. In fact, Google keyword planner doesn’t show you lucrative keywords. We know that Google wants more advertisers!
- Check Competitors Keyword Ranking: One of biggest advantages you’d receive by finding competitor’s keywords is you can actually check competitor’s keyword rankings and their fluctuations. This is a great way to identify whether they have built new backlinks for their inner pages. Usually immediate rank bump-ups can be generated due to passing over link juice through inner pages (internal linking) and using outbound linking strategies.
- Stay aware of current trends: Some keywords are evergreen. While others have a short and/or very short life-span. For example, “valentine day” is a two word keyword that usually gets high search volume at the end of January and first 2-3 weeks of February. By running a competitive analysis campaign, you can find interest of keyword over time for specific keywords that your competition might be using or not. At last, It’s a great chance for you to target those audience.
Find Best SEO Keywords Your Competitors are using
Like we use google keyword planner for keyword research, we want to use a specific tool to analyze competitors’ keywords.
It is … SEMRUSH.
What is SEMrush and How you can use it for your website?
SEMrush is a powerful digital marketing toolkit that provides many tools for bloggers, SEO experts, digital marketrs and business owners. SEMrush has various SEO tools for different purposes such as keyword research, backlink checking, analyzing competitor webpage’s traffic distribution and website SEO audit.
In fact, SEMrush is a very useful SEO tool that every blogger should use on daily basis. Daily basis?
Yes, Because SEMrush updates their databases frequently and provides lots of tools from keyword tracking to SEO audit. And for keyword research, SEMrush tracks top 100 positions of SERPs. This ensures that SEMrush data is fresh and accurate.
I have been using SEMrush since 2012 and have got great results. To learn more about SEMrush and find other SEMrush features, you can read this detailed SEMrush review post.
Find competitor SEO keywords using SEMrush
Now I will show you how to find competitors keywords using SEMrush competitor research tools by four ways.
#1. Find Competitor Keywords with Root Domain.
This method is less targeted but gives you much more SEO keywords and keyword opportunities. What you will do here is finding high traffic keywords and important information such as search volume, CPC distribution, competitive score, and organic traffic share. This is a good way to generate new content ideas, a remedy for writer’s block.
Our Goal: Analyze competitor’s blog and find profitable keywords that drive traffic to website.
Step #1: Go to SEMrush home page and enter your competitor’s website address. Here, I will use QuickSprout’s URL as my competitor’s address.
By default, you would receive the competitor analysis report for Google United States database (Google.com). If you want to research keywords of your local competitors, you can select the appropriate Google country domain or just Bing.
Click on “Search” button.
Step #2: Here is the SEMrush’s main report for quicksprout.com domain.
You can find several new terms in this page.
- SEMrush Rank: Like Alexa traffic rank and Moz Domain Authority and Page Authority ranks, SEMrush rank is a unique website ranking metric introduced by SEMrush. SEMrush rank is based on overall traffic volume and cost that would have to spend if you want drive similar traffic through Adwords or Bing Ads. Higher the traffic volume doesn’t always convey that the website has a higher SEMrush traffic rank. For an example, website that provides Kids games equipment or information about gaming for Kids could has a low SEMrush rank than a website that sells digital marketing products even it receives a less amount of traffic compared to Kids gaming site. It’s all about buying emotion. Higher the SEMrush rank, high converting traffic that site would receive.
- Traffic (Search Engine Traffic): The total number of traffic the particular website receives from a search engine from first 20 organic search results.
- SE Traffic Price (Search Engine Traffic Price): Search Engine Traffic Cost is calculated by according to the current bids for keywords in Google Adwords and traffic volume shares for web pages. This is a good estimate that reveals how much you’d have to spend on Google Adwords to receive same amount of traffic.
The Domain Summary page shows us How much Organic traffic QuickSprout received from Google.com search engine and other stats such as total backlinks, traffic share of devices and countries. They are all very useful metrics when it comes to competitors analysis.
Now let’s take a look at Live Organic Keywords section.
In this section, you can find two sides that have categorized organic keywords according to highest traffic share to website and SERP rank distribution.
You can select any option to find keywords of your competitor website. I will select the first option: Top Keywords.
Here are a few top organic keywords of QuickSprout.
In this keyword report, you would find these columns.
- Keyword: Search Query that people use on search engine before landing to the webpage.
- Position: Keyword’s SERP ranking position for the current day or latest updated day. Ex: 11 (7) = Current/last updated position (Previous position). As SEMrush updates its database often, this data updates regularly and you would find this is really helpful for your content marketing campaigns.
- Volume: Average monthly search volume. If you selected Google or any other Google’s domain, this data is fetched from Google keyword planner. For Bing, the data is from Bing Keyword research tool. This is the average search volume data for last 12 months. So, there could be have changes in monthly traffic volumes occasionally.
- CPC: Average Cost Per Click value in Google Adwords (for Google search engines) and Bing advertising tool (for Bing search engine) for particular keywords.
- URL: The Landing page’s location address that ranks on SERPs for search terms.
- Traffic %: The percentage traffic share to the web page for the given keyword in the date range.
- Costs %: The estimated traffic price for given keyword in Google Adwords.
- Competitive Density: PPC Keyword competitiveness for given keyword. One of important metrics in competitive keywords analysis. Lower the competitive density, it would be more easier to rank on SERPs in higher positions.
- Results: The number of web pages compete for given keyword. If the keyword is a broad one, more web pages will be listed. If it is a long-tail keyword, usually lesser number of web pages will be ranked. That’s why it is so important to use long tail keywords on your web pages.
- Trend: Interest over time for the keyword.
- SERP source: A snapshot for given keyword in search engine result page (SERP).
As you see, QuickSprout ranks higher on SERPs for number of high competitive keywords such as online marketing, SEO and Internet Marketing.
Not only that, QuickSprout ranks for vast number of long tail keywords too. That brings tons of traffic from search engines consistently.
Also, you might not to able to exactly find out the ‘SERP features’ of certain domains using other tools except SEMrush. Here’s how QuickSprout’s traffic divide in other channels.
As you see you can decide before writing any article, how to optimize your blog for these SERP features as well. QuickSprout receive significant number of organic traffic from Image Searches as well. Knowledge Graph, Instant Answer and News are other verticals that drive good amount of quality traffic from Google.
Use organic keywords report to find keywords that your competitors are using and web pages that rank for number of unpredictable keywords even they aren’t optimized. When you check competitor websites’ keyword rankings, don’t forget to look for the competition level of keywords. As higher the Keyword competition score, it indicates that you will have to do more works to rank for that keyword rather than ranking for a low competitive keyword.
#2. Find SEO Keywords using Search Terms (Generate untapped keywords)
Our Goal: Find Unused Keywords by competitors
This method is more targeted than analyzing website traffic, if you want find new keywords that your competitors don’t know anything about. Here’s how to find unused keywords using SEMrush.
Step #1: Enter your targeted search term into the search box and hit enter button. It can be a short-term or a long term keyword.
Now you will be shown a page with tons of data.
Step #2: Here’s summary page of “keyword Research” search term.
In this section, you can find details such as the trend over time, competition, keyword difficulty to rank, etc.
Step #3: Lets’ take a look at Phrase match report.
Even though “Keyword research” is a competitive search term, keywords such as google keyword research, how to do keyword research and keyword research tips are low competitive keywords.
Step #4: One of my favorite reports SEMrush keyword search tool provides is the related-match keyword report. By using this report, i can discover untapped and high relevant keyword phrases that Google keyword planner doesn’t show me.
Here are a few related keywords. SEMrsuh has found that Google keyword tool, Google keywords and YouTube keyword tool are relevant search terms for my entered keyword that is “keyword research”. You can’t find many of those keywords on Google keyword Planner. You’d only get phrase match keywords (like you found in step #3)
If you monetize your blog using a PPC or CPM advertising network such as Google Adsense, use SEMrush keyword research tool to generate high CPC keywords. Check out this article to learn moreover how to use SEMrush keyword tool to find profitable keywords.
In fact, SEMrush is one of best keyword research tools in the market today. SEMrush will not only suggest related match keywords, but also will give more tools to find the authority of competitor websites and analyze web pages to find weak-points.
Tip: Use SEMrush Keyword difficulty tool to find the keyword competitive score of any keyword.
Our Goal: See competitor’s keywords from our eyes and determine whether can be ranked on search engines easily.
If you want to find what keywords drive more traffic to a web page, you can find those keywords using SEMrush. This is one of my favorite feature in SEMrush. Who doesn’t want to check competitors website traffic and find competitors keywords which bring them tons of traffic in every month consistently?
Here’s how to find search terms of a competitor web page.
Step #1: Enter the permalink of a competitor’s website.
Step #2: Labnol’s The Best Websites to Learn Coding Online post gets 78 daily visitors from Google.com alone. The post currently ranks for 728 keywords which was 48 when I first checked out a few months ago.
You can repeat this method for other search engines and get fistful of search terms that your competitor web pages already rank for.
#4. Your Domain + Competitors
Our Goal: Stay aware of competitors and research competitor’s keywords instantly.
This is probably the best way to find your competitors keywords. What I am going to do here is analyze my competitor websites and find unused keywords, yet my competitors use. So later I can use those search terms in my blog posts and strengthen my competition level.
Step #1: Enter your website address into SEMrush competitor analysis tool.
Step #2: According to Pitiya’s content (Pitiya.com is the re-branded name for Problogtricks.com), backlink profile and SEO keywords, SEMrush has found that Pitiya has 1,719 main organic competitors.,
Also as Competitive Positioning Map, you can see where does Pitiya rank among competitor websites.
Here is the full list of competitor websites and common keywords.
I have written a few articles related to grammar checking, punctuation checking and plagiarism detecting. Therefore, SEMrush has identified that top organic competitors are also websites that produce content related to English grammar.
I ran a Domain vs. Domain search on SEMrush between my site and top organic website with high competition level.
So, what can I do to improve my search engine rankings of these terms?
Yes, use proper on-page SEO techniques and build some authority backlinks towards the blog post with diversified anchor texts.
However, to be honest with you, I am a little bit lazy with backlinking. I know that If done wrong, it can ruin my website. That’s why I am a fan of low competition keywords. Once you know how to rank for low competiton keywords, they start building authority backlinks to your site on autopilot.
So, here’s what I did to overcome this issue:
I was smart to define report to filter out keywords with high SEO competition. In other words, I simply added a filter to group keywords with low competition.
Check out this report to grasp how I found low competitive keywords that my competitor had used on their website.
As you see, I could write separate blog posts or integrate these low competition keywords into existing blog posts. Either way, I can drive targeted traffic to my blog and increase traffic, generate more leads and grow my online business.
Competitive Keyword Analysis is not hard. You see it how I find my competitors keywords in a matter of seconds.
My favorite tool for competitor keyword analysis is SEMrush. If you’re interested in trying SEMrush Pro for free, use this link to open a SEMrush free trial account.
You won’t regret by using this tool. I promise that. I too have a SEMrush Pro account that makes my blogging, SEO and SEM ventures easier.
Competitor research is one of best ways to grow your business in a short span of time, without worrying about marketing research or depending on agency or freelancer to do important tasks that you should do particularly at the beginning of online marketing career.
I know a few businesses that grew after analyzing competitor websites. And I know hundreds of websites which recovered from Google panda updates after understanding the current situation of their websites and SEO strategies they used.
If you are serious about your website and regard it as a business (and it should be!), you must analyze your competitors; their daily traffic volume, backlinks and buyer keywords etc. Many SEO experts recommend SEMrush as the best search engine marketing tool to use for SEO and content marketing.
Not only SEMrush will analyze competitor websites and reveal your competitors popular keywords, but also will show you the statistics on how to outrank competitors using proper SEO strategies.
I would like to know your views about competitors keyword research and how it affects to your business.
What are other tools that you use to find competitor keywords? I use SEMrush. What’s your favorite SEO tool?