In my recent article on best giveaway tools for marketers, I listed 20 tools with distinct features. UpViral and Kingsumo were among them. KingSumo and UpViral are two special tools and are made by marketers, Noah Kagan and Wilco De Kreij. These tools have different features that differentiate each other.
In this Kingsumo vs UpViral review, I will share key differences and my thoughts on which tool is best based on features, cost-effectiveness, and long-term effectiveness for your business.
KingSumo is based in the United States while UpViral is based in the Netherlands. Originally, Kingsumo was a WordPress plugin and in this comparison between UpViral and Kingsumo, I will compare the cloud version of Kingsumo against Upviral.
One of the best ways to look at the product or a company’s direction is looking at who controls it. KingSumo was founded by Noah Kagan who also founded several other online businesses like Appsumo and Sendfox.
Wilco De Kreij founded UpViral in 2015 and since its launch, UpViral has grown into a giveaway tool with tons of features. He also created SaaS apps like Connectio and sold them later to focus on UpViral.
Feature Comparison: Kingsumo vs UpViral
While Kingsumo (the cloud version not hosted WordPress plugin) is in beta and UpViral has developed and on the market since 2015, both offer many features.
In my recent review on UpViral, I walked through the entire platform and shared the strengths and weaknesses of UpViral. Here are some:
- Unlimited giveaway campaigns, opt-in page visitors, winners, rewards, and grand prizes
- Integration with many popular email marketing tools, webinar platforms, and support Zapier, Integrately, and HTML form integration.
- Drag-and-drop page builder to design your all Opt-in and Share pages without coding.
- A/B test Opt-in page, Share Page, and email notifications
- Run giveaway on UpViral pages and your websites at the same time
- Use custom domain name for landing pages and referral tracking
- Add custom fields
- Customize social media post images and messages
- Custom action features to incentivize campaign participants to complete tasks to get points
- One-Click sign-up links to get people into campaigns without registering on the Opt-in page.
- Analytics and reporting
- Select winners based on two ways: Random weight drawing and Amount of points accumulated
- Extend the giveaway close date as you wish
- Fraud detection
- No daily entry feature
- UpViral pricing can be challenging for a small business owner with a tight budget
- People might need some time to get accustomed to the dashboard
For some years, UpViral has begun holding weekly co-pilot shows with UpViral experts and providing tons of valuable training on running successful contests.
UpViral’s blog includes lots of case studies and Knowledge Base is filled with many tutorials. UpViral supports both Live Chat and email assistance (email@example.com).
KingSumo was originally made as a WordPress plugin. Now, it’s abandoned in development and the cloud-version is the top priority of the Kingsumo team. Although the KingSumo cloud version is still in beta, it has got a fair amount of users through their sister company Appsumo.
- Official rules generator
- Lifetime price
- Translation options
- Built-in advanced spam and fraud prevention methods
- Create a newsletter referral program with SendFox
- Bonus giveaway entries for taking specific actions
- Automatic mid-giveaway and final 24-hour emails to your entrants
- No custom fields
- KingSumo branding on giveaway pages, widgets, and emails
- Limited direct integrations
- No A/B testing feature
- No referral functionalities
- No custom domains support
- No daily entry actions
- Limited post giveaway actions
KingSumo does not have comprehensive learning materials as much as UpViral. Its support team can be reached via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Price comparison: Kingsumo vs UpViral
Two services use different pricing structures as of now.
UpViral has three subscription-based packages.
- Starter – $79/mo
- Business – $119/mo
- Premium – $299/mo
While the Starter plan is the cheapest UpViral plan, it does not have key features like split testing and geo-location restriction.
For $49, you can get access to Kingsumo Pro with lifetime updates. However, even in the Pro plan, there are limitations such as the ability to remove the Kingsumo attribution (ex: logo) from campaign pages and emails.
Which giveaway tool is good for you?
Kingsumo does not have a drag-and-drop page builder nor lets you add rewards into a competition. It has got far fewer features than UpViral. Here’s a video that shows you how to run a giveaway using Kingsumo. Watch it to see the interface.
On other hand, UpViral contains tons of features for giveaway creation. Templates are one of the most anticipated and loved parts.
UpViral’s Custom Actions builder makes it so easy to create tasks. Here’s a short video on it.
Although Kingsumo is a cheaper alternative to UpViral, when comparing the features and value for cost, UpViral gives you more capabilities.
If you are a beginner and cannot afford to spend money monthly, I recommend giving Kingsumo a try. It will give you more hands and let you have more experience when you run giveaways. However, when you have the budget for a better Kingsumo alternative, Upviral would be an excellent choice because of the reasons listed here.
Final words on Kingsumo vs UpViral
Choosing a good sweepstake platform would be challenging particularly if you do not have experience with giveaway contest tools. Services like Kingsumo and UpViral make it easier for anybody to create a giveaway in a matter of hours without the coding skills needed.
In this UpViral vs Kingsumo review, you found out key differences. I have used both platforms and Upviral is the winner I have found based on many reasons:
- The weekly co-pilot show lets you submit your giveaway and get recommendations from experts to optimize your campaign.
- Training materials on the UpViral learning center are priceless and can be accessed anytime.
- UpViral lets you import successful campaigns from others easily.
- Custom tracking links let you track best and poorly performing referral sources so you can optimize the campaign further even though you can use a custom link click tracking software
- Display Pop-up and Popover widgets on your websites so you can collect leads from your site and run evergreen rewards campaigns and automate the lead generation process.
- UpViral’s drag-and-drop page builder is easier to deal with and it gives more possibilities than Kingsumo’s giveaway builder.
All in all, Kingsumo is still years behind of UpViral in terms of functionalities and while Kingsumo is cheaper than Upviral, UpViral is the choice for marketers who are looking for limitless capabilities.
So, what is your verdict on Kingsumo versus UpViral?