This article will find the best Grammarly alternatives with similar and/or better features.
Grammarly is probably one of the best grammar checker tools, with over four million users worldwide. But, when it comes to advanced grammar checking, you must subscribe to Grammarly’s Premium plan to use them properly.
In fact, the top tools and features of Grammarly are given to those who have subscribed to Grammarly Premium.
So, in this guide, I will drill down some of the best Grammarly alternatives out there that can correct grammar and punctuation errors in your articles, essays, blog posts, and documents.
Best Alternatives to Grammarly
Before getting into Grammarly alternatives, if you found a better replacement, don’t you wish to cancel your Grammarly subscription and possibly get your money back? Learn more in this article.
Linguix is a grammar checker like Grammarly with features such as an AI writing assistant, punctuation checker, and paraphrasing engine.
Why is Linguix a better alternative to Grammarly?
- A similar online dashboard interface and editor as Grammarly
- Browser extension that you use to check grammar, spelling, punctuation, and more on any website
- AI Writing assistant
- Statistics on how well you wrote and how much was corrected
- It offers a free plan!
Click here to give Linguix a try today.
ProWritingAid is a grammar-checking tool with an online editor, the same as Grammarly, and is a versatile writing and editing tool that offers a wide range of features to help you enhance your content.
Why is ProWritingAid a better replacement for Grammarly?
- No Word Limit: Unlike Grammarly’s free version, ProWritingAid’s free plan doesn’t impose a word limit. This means you can check longer documents without restrictions.
- Detailed Reports: ProWritingAid provides in-depth reports on your writing, offering insights into various aspects of your content, including readability, style, and grammar. These reports are more extensive than what Grammarly offers.
- Multi-Language Support: ProWritingAid supports multiple languages, making it suitable for writers who work in different languages.
- Plagiarism Checker: While Grammarly offers a plagiarism checker only in its premium version, ProWritingAid includes this feature even in its free plan, helping you ensure the originality of your content.
- Word Explorer: ProWritingAid’s Word Explorer tool provides in-depth information about words and phrases, helping users better understand their usage and meaning.
- Privacy: ProWritingAid emphasizes user privacy and data security, which may be a significant consideration for individuals or organizations with strict data protection requirements.
Trinka is a similar website to Grammarly. It offers many features and a wide variety of plugins for users to check grammar online and on software.
Trinka self-proclaims to be an academic and technical writing assistant. Some of its features are:
- 3000+ grammar checks
- Tone and style enhancements
- Suggests corrections relevant to your subject
- Auto File Edit (correct writing errors on Microsoft Word documents in bulk automatically)
- Personal dictionary
- Publication Readiness Checks
Why is Trinka a better alternative to Grammarly?
- Trinka is made for academic and professional writing
- Automatically edit Microsoft Word files in minutes (you cannot find this feature in Grammarly).
- Check journal publication readiness.
Like Grammarly, Trinka AI grammar checker provides Chrome, Firefox, and Safari browser extensions and a Microsoft Word add-on. Its free plan allows checking up to 5,000 words and auto-editing two MS Word docs. If you are looking for a decent free alternative to Grammarly, try Trinka AI or check other Grammarly contenders below.
LanguageTool is another free alternative to Grammarly with similar features such as grammar checking, personal dictionary, and quality score.
Here are a few reasons why LanguageTool is a better alternative to Grammarly:
- Multilingual Support: LanguageTool supports a wide range of languages and provides grammar and style checking for languages other than English. This makes it an excellent choice for non-English speakers and those working on multilingual content.
- Open Source: LanguageTool has an open-source software option, which means it is free to use and can be customized or extended by developers to suit specific needs. This makes it accessible to a broader user base and encourages community contributions.
- Wide Range of Integrations: LanguageTool integrates with popular text editors, content management systems (CMS), and productivity tools, including LibreOffice, Google Docs, Microsoft Word, and more, ensuring compatibility with various writing environments.
Whitesmoke is another great candidate to replace Grammarly if you want an excellent grammar checker app with useful functionalities. It can check punctuation, spelling, wordiness, misspelling, and other simple to advanced grammatical errors in your writing.
Furthermore, it has an integrated translator, so if you want your articles translated into another language, Whitesmoke is a great Grammarly competitor.
Ginger Software might be the closest replacement for Grammarly by far, considering many factors such as standard features, grammar-checking abilities, and unique functionalities.
Also, I have written an extensive guide on Grammarly vs. Ginger. Check it out over here if you want to analyze further which grammar checker tool is right for your needs.
Unlike other Grammarly competitors, Ginger has many features you might be interested in using.
- Translation: Ginger offers a built-in translation tool, which can be highly beneficial for users who need to work with content in multiple languages.
- Text Reader: Ginger includes a text-to-speech reader, helping users proofread and improve their writing by hearing it aloud, which can aid in identifying errors and awkward phrasing.
- Personalized Learning: Ginger’s Personal Trainer feature provides customized lessons and exercises to help users improve their English skills, making it a valuable tool for language learners.
- Content Rephraser: Ginger includes a rephrasing tool that helps users find alternative ways to express ideas, making it easier to avoid repetition and improve writing style.
The Hemingway App is good if you are a content writer looking for a specific distraction-free Grammarly alternative.
Why is Hemingway an excellent competitor for Grammarly?
- Simplicity and Focus on Clarity: Hemingway Editor focuses primarily on improving the clarity and readability of your writing. It provides suggestions to simplify complex sentences and words, which can be especially helpful for writers aiming for a straightforward and concise style.
- Readability Analysis: Hemingway Editor offers a readability score that helps you gauge the overall readability of your content, making it easier to target specific audiences and improve comprehension.
- Style Improvement: It provides recommendations to eliminate passive voice, adverbs, and overly complex language, helping you develop a more direct and impactful writing style.
- Minimalist Interface: Hemingway Editor features a clean and minimalist interface that is easy to use and understand, making it accessible for writers of all levels of experience.
- Offline Access: Unlike Grammarly, Hemingway Editor is available as a downloadable desktop application, allowing you to use it offline without the need for an internet connection. However, it costs a one-time fee to use the software.
- Focus Mode: Hemingway Editor’s “Focus Mode” highlights the current sentence or paragraph you’re working on, reducing distractions and helping you stay concentrated on your writing.
- Export Options: It allows you to export your edited text to various formats, making it convenient for writers who need to prepare content for different platforms or publications.
- Educational Value: Hemingway Editor helps writers learn about writing improvement by providing specific suggestions and explanations for each edit, contributing to skill development.
Final Thoughts on Grammarly Alternatives
I have used Grammarly for over ten years and never faced any issues. I tested their Grammarly Business features, such as Style Guides and Analytics Dashboard. They are helpful if you have a team of writers. Learn more in this Grammarly Business Review.
If you are looking for a helpful grammar checker tool for daily needs, I strongly recommend giving Grammarly a try today. It’s hard to beat their features, such as grammar and punctuation checking, plagiarism check, GrammarlyGO, and integrations. Check out our review on Grammarly if you are looking for more details on why Grammarly is better than most alternatives.
Unless you are a professional writer and want a free Grammarly alternative for a one-off task, the Hemingway, Linguix, or ProWritingAid would be better. Although they are not as thorough and competitive as Grammarly’s, they are enough for your simple needs.
So, what is your best Grammarly alternative?