Poor grammar and punctuation implementation always hurt — no argument about that.
Well, you are here because you wanted a proper grammar and punctuation checker and corrector to fix errors on your documents, right?
Don’t go anywhere! 😀 In a second, you will find out my go-to nine online grammar and punctuation checker tools.
Personally, I use Grammarly to check grammar and punctuation online of my blog post content (like this article you’re reading), essays, papers, emails, social media status (such as Facebook posts), and forum posts. Check out the list of online grammar and punctuation checker tools below to find our rankings for the best online grammar checkers and the links to websites.
|Our Rank||Grammar Checker||Link to Website|
|3||Pro Writing Aid||Visit Pro Writing Aid|
|4||Paper Rater||Visit Paper Rater|
|6||Online Correction||Visit Online Correction|
|7||Language Tool||Visit Language Tool|
|9||Spell Check 24||Visit Spell Check 24|
Details about ranking table
- Grammar and Punctuation checker rankings are based on popularity, customer reviews, functionalities, and my experiences. You should be aware that in reality, NOT all online grammar and punctuation checker and corrector tools are 100% perfect in terms of fixing errors compared to humans. (Learn more about the human brain vs the computer over here.)
- Although most abovementioned online grammar checker tools are free to use, some may have premium plans that offer other tools such as plagiarism checkers, synonym finders, etc.
- Some grammar and punctuation checkers lack abilities such as checking apostrophes, comma checking, and quotation mark implementation in proper places correctly. That’s why we have ranked punctuation and grammar checker tools in a table so that you can understand the functionalities of each tool clearly.
If you have any questions, suggestions, or recommendations on any grammar-checking software, please share them in the comment form below.
Best Online Grammar and Punctuation Checker Tools
10 Million users can’t be wrong
Grammarly has become my go-to grammar checker tool for over four years now. Business professionals, college teachers, university lecturers, bloggers, students, and even professional writers use this powerful grammar corrector tool to make error-free articles.
As a comprehensive grammar and punctuation checker, Grammarly has all the tools you need to correct any English document, which is not just limited to essays, assignments, campus projects, college lectures, legal documents, and business letters.
You can check ANY set of English words on Grammarly and let it correct it for you.
Check out this introduction video of Grammarly to know more about it.
Among Grammarly’s sophisticated features, I have found a few key features. Here are some of them.
- Grammarly Can Correct Over 250 Simple and Advanced Grammar and Punctuation Errors: Grammarly tool automatically scans your text/article and detects any sentence with poor grammar and punctuation marks. You are just a few clicks away from correcting them all. It is as simple as ABC!
- Check Grammar on the web, Microsoft Word, Google Docs and mobile: Grammarly provides all the facilities to check grammatical errors on your writings in all places.
- Check for Content Plagiarism: If you are a blogger just like me, you would know the Google Panda update pretty well. It is a nightmare for websites that have thin and duplicate content. But, what most threatens me as a website owner is what if Google identified my blog posts have duplicate content, even though I haven’t copied a single line of the sentence. Yes, it happens all the time for people. A plagiarism checker tool is the best way to find out what percentage of your blog article is plagiarised and what content they are. Grammarly has an in-built plagiarism checker tool that checks your dropped content against over 8 billion web page content.
- English grammar check: With the ability to test over 250 English punctuation and vocabulary errors, you can quickly turn your errorful article into an error-free one. In General, it takes about 5-15 minutes to correct all grammar mistakes in an article with 2,500 words. Yes, it ultimately depends on your writing style and the number of errors. But, unlike other grammar corrector tools, Grammarly can correct all grammar mistakes quicker. As Google measures your article’s quality by checking grammar and punctuation errors, you should ensure that your article is errorless, even if you’re a freelance writer.
- Vocabulary Enhancement: This feature is especially very useful for content marketers, bloggers, webmasters, and especially SEOs. Integrating synonyms in your content will improve the quality of your article and its readability. There are millions of words in the English language. But, all of us, as ordinary people, know just a fraction of it. Grammarly finds relevant synonyms for your article according to contextual meaning and suggests them for you. Although you can use custom synonym finder tools, Grammarly is a better shot as it could save hours from your life.
Grammarly can be used as an online tool and software that works on your PC, tablet, or laptop. There are no differences between these two methods. I have used them – They are simply perfect!
Grammarly includes Android and iOS apps for checking grammar and punctuation on mobile devices (Grammarly Keyboard app). So, once you have created your Grammarly account, you can download Android App from Play Store and iOS App from App Store and use them with your smart device.
Furthermore, Grammarly does provide specific features under its “Business plan.” Brand Tons, Snippets, and Analytics are some of them. Learn more.
Grammarly does have two plans: Free and Premium. Find differences from this article.
Although there are many alternatives to Grammarly, Grammarly is far ahead of them in terms of features, accuracy, efficacy, and user-friendliness. Also, you can cancel your Grammarly subscription anytime if you are not satisfied with the service.
Click here to get Grammarly grammar checker.
All-in-one Toolkit for writers, freelancers, students and marketers to fulfill language aids.
I used Ginger Proofreader before moving to Grammarly. Ginger is a complete grammar and punctuation corrector tool.
Ginger software should be your best choice if you need to check an article’s grammar, punctuation, spelling, and syntax and translate it into another language.
- Grammar Checker: GingerSoftware or Ginger correct grammar mistakes in your articles. It provides an online editor, browser extensions, computer applications, Microsoft Word add-in, and mobile apps.
- Sentence Rephrase: Speaking and writing are two different styles. But, On many occasions, when we write, we use many words in speaking (oral language). That happens when we lose our perception and our awareness. But, with the “Sentence Rephraser” of Ginger, you can check the grammar of sentences separately and make them adapt to the proper language style, either written or oral.
- Spell Checker: When you write 1000’s words of lengthier articles, there are more chances you could make more spelling mistakes. I make a lot of misspells in every paragraph. Ginger’s Spell checker tool can easily correct misspelled, overused, and misused words.
- Punctuation Checker: Ginger has a robust punctuation checker tool. Not putting dots, commas, and quotes in appropriate places of your email application could result in not approving your proposal and losing a valuable customer. The redundant use of punctuation marks changes the message or makes it difficult to understand. But, Ginger’s punctuation checker tool is a perfect solution to craft easy-to-read, digestible and understandable articles.
- Translation: Currently, Ginger software can translate your text into over 40 languages. As a premium user, you can use this feature whenever you want to translate any text into over 40 languages. Ginger Translation feature is an alternative to Google Translate.
Ginger’s prices are based on the payment length. See the screenshot below.
Grammarly vs Ginger
Grammarly and Ginger are two of the best online grammar checker and punctuation checker tools out there. I have written a comprehensive comparison guide between Grammarly and Ginger Software.
Pro Writing Aid
The Essential Editing tool for EVERY Writer.
ProWritingAid is another grammar and punctuation checking and manuscript editor software. Apart from editing normal English text, ProWritingAid also applies over 5000 different improvements and suggests synonyms to improve the readability of pieces of text.
Therefore, many content writers, authors, college students working on literature projects, novelists, and basically every book publisher use Pro Writing Aid to improve English text before publicizing.
- Better Integrations: ProWritingAid integrates with MS Word, Open Office, Google Docs, Scrivener, and Google Chrome, so you can save lots of valuable time and increase the efficiency of your work.
- Word Explorer: Improve your document’s readability and quality moreover by using the Word Explorer tool by ProWritingAid. It contains a thesaurus, contextually related words, dictionary, reverse dictionary, collocation dictionary, alliteration dictionary, cliche dictionary, rhymes, and example usages from poetry, prose, and songs. So you would never miss any words to add to your articles.
- Detailed Explanations: ProWritingAid highlight every grammar and punctuation error, such as comma slice, wrong sentence structure, etc., and after clicking on the highlighted text, you can see a detailed explanation of the grammar rule and punctuation mark. So, you don’t need to search on the web to find information about particular grammar and punctuation rules.
ProWritingAid is a robust online grammar and punctuation checker that provide different tools to improve your piece of English text. It is used mainly by authors and book publishers to improve readability. So, if you are looking for a good grammar checker and corrector, give it a try today.
Online proofreader for everyone
PaperRater is an online proofreading tool that corrects all grammatical and spelling errors. You don’t need to download any software to work with it. It’s a free grammar checker tool with no download.
Besides working as a thorough comma checker, PaperRater also has several noticeable features. Here are a few of them.
- Check grammar, spelling, and word voice: Besides fixing grammatical and spelling errors, PaperRater also corrects word voice. This feature is handy if you want to proofread a manuscript or a speech text.
- Check Punctuation mistakes: Using punctuation marks in proper placements is very important. PaperRater automatically detects places to add punctuation marks.
- Set settings of Proofreading: There are lots of writing styles. One writing style couldn’t be right with traditional English grammar, vocabulary, and punctuation rules. But, you can change the setting of proofreading.
Ex: If your name is not an English-related name, it will be marked as a wording error in most grammar checker tools. But, by changing the settings in PaperRater, you can differ things happenings and save lots of time.
- Overall writing score: It is an interesting feature for me. How if you can get a score for your writing? And your friend’s writing skills? Interesting, right? PaperRater will show you an overall score known as the “writing score.” Writing score is counted using a few key factors of a high-quality article, such as proper wording, the length of a sentence/paragraph, grammar, spelling, punctuation marks and readability scores, etc.
Overall, Paper Rater is a simple yet powerful free grammar corrector tool for school teachers, students, kids, and content marketers alike. The proper use of this tool will make you a better writer day by day and show you how to improve your writing ability and minimize failures.
Grammar Checker tool by Automatic (the company which made WordPress CMS)
“After the Deadline,” or Polish My Writing as it is called, is yet another spelling and grammar checker tool that can be used by anyone interested in polishing their English grammatical and spelling skills.
- Grammar spell check and correction: All grammar errors will be highlighted in green color and suggest the correct version of it. Also, all spelling mistakes will be highlighted in red color and suggest the correct words. Once you get familiar with these styles, you will simultaneously identify your main failures (ex: punctuation, grammar, and spelling) and how to improve your writing ability. To become a better article writer, you should practice and minimize these errors.
- Style Suggestions: PolishMyWriting not only finds grammatical errors but also understands your writing style too (EX: conversational tone). PMW will suggest grammar corrections according to your writing style.
- Active and passive voice suggestions: If you write blog articles, you should use active voice rather than passive voice. With the PolishMyWriting tool, you can easily get correct suggestions for every active and passive voice rule. (EG: Present, past, present continue, past continue, perfect, future tenses, etc.)
Do you surprise why PolishMyWriting has active and passive voice suggestion features? Maybe because of the creator of this tool. The PolishMywriting tool is created by the folks who contributed to building the world’s great WordPress Content management and blogging system.
Automatically correct grammar and punctuation errors
This is another tool that can detect common grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. OnlineCorrection works just like PolishMyWriting. The Online Correction tool would be the best grammar tool if you want a distraction-free interface to work comfortably.
All spelling errors will be marked in red, and other grammar and diction errors will be marked in green. If you need a basic tool to check common errors in English grammar of your articles, such as “in the table” instead of “on the table,” Online Correction would be the best text correction tool.
A Multilingual Open Source Proofreading Software – Develop own proofreading program to correct complicated grammar errors.
The days are gone when you must pay for some valuable products. Now there are tons of alternatives. Open Source has become the main competitor for paid tools and software. From Linux-based operating systems to open source browsers like Mozilla and word processing software like LibreOffice, you can download them, change the source code, develop them and distribute them.
Language tool is a useful Open Source based multilingual proofreading software with the license of LGPL 2.1. Currently, the Language tool support over 20 international languages, including English, German, Spanish, and French. So, if your article is written in those languages, you can proofread it using this free punctuation and grammar checker tool.
You can download the entire free grammar check software either from LanguageTool.org or from GitHub. It is also available as a Firefox extension that you can install over here. If you are a Google Chrome user, you’re a few steps away from using this free punctuation corrector. Go to Chrome Web Store over here and install it on your browser.
LanguageTool source code would be very useful if you are a programmer. Download it from here and create your own custom grammar correction tool that supports your native language.
The Open Source Writing Aide
Just like Languagetool.org, GramMark.org is another website that launched an open-source project for grammar corrections online.
Spell Check 24
Free multilingual spelling and grammar sentence checker
SpellCheck24.net is another free tool to check articles’ grammar and spelling errors. There are a few features of this tool. You can find some of them below.
- Contextual Spell Checking: Sometimes, your wording might be right but not as good as general writing rules. Ex: crosslinking, mobilegeddon. By using SpellCheck24.net, you can analyze your article for spelling errors very quickly.
- Spell check many languages: From US English to South African English and from Espanol, Italian, French to Russian, SpellCheck24.net supports well over ten languages. You just need to paste your text (or start writing) and select the particular language your text is written.
- Print error-free Article: You can instantly print your text document using the Print command.
- Download text as a PDF file: This is a unique feature of SpellCheck24.net. You can download your text in PDF format.
- Save and load text from Cloud: Another useful feature for people who write articles often using different devices. This is also beneficial if you have partners located at various locations. Just send them the account details.
- Text Analysis: This is my favorite feature of the Spell Check tool. You can analyze Readability, Word density, and Filler Word scores instantly. These metrics are essential for content marketers and college students, teachers, and professionals. Text analysis will help you write a natural and interesting article that pleases people.
Spellcheck24.net is not only an excellent free grammar checker tool but also a good punctuation corrector too. With its incentive interface, surely you’d use this tool regularly.
Top 3 Online Grammar And Punctuation Checker Tools Comparison
Grammarly vs Ginger vs Pro Writing Aid
|Free grammar, punctuation checking, and correcting||Yes||Yes||No|
|Grammar Checker Addon for Microsoft Word||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Mobile Applications (Android & iOS)||Yes||Yes||No|
|Grammar Check on Gmail||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Grammar Check on Facebook||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Price per year||$144.00||$89.88||$79|
|Sign Up Link||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
Note: All prices are in United States Dollars (USD), and fees may have been changed. Also, each plan may have different features and limits, so please check their websites to know more about pricing, features.
As humans, we do lots of flaws. Even if you are a professional writer, poet, author, online school owner, online course creator, micro job worker, or freelance worker, you could make many grammatical and spelling errors.
You can fix those errors with the help of a very good proofreading tool.
But, what’s even worse is when your article doesn’t have punctuation marks in the proper places. One comma mistake can make a big difference.
Let’s eat grandma! Let’s eat, grandma!
Even though you can use a grammar-checking service, it will cost you a few hundred dollars for an article. And to get a paper proofread would take a significant amount of time.
As you need a quick solution for your grammar and punctuation mistakes, using an accurate, robust grammar and punctuation checker tool is best.
I use Grammarly’s Premium version. It checks my grammar and punctuation. Analyzes the text and fixes my grammar mistakes quickly.
If I didn’t use a punctuation checker tool for this article, I wonder if you could understand the text I wrote!
So what’s your best grammar and punctuation checker tool?
Did I miss any online grammar and punctuation checker tool you are familiar with or know? Share your thoughts in the comment form below.
- Why Spellcheck Is So Good, and Grammar Check Is So Bad
- The Slippery Truth about Grammar Checkers
- Crio – Free Grammar and Style Checker by Stanford University
- Google Docs gets a grammar checker that relies on machine learning
- PDF Oxford Guide to English Grammar
- Guide to Grammar Checkers For Google Docs and Microsoft Word
25 thoughts on “Top 9 Free Grammar and Punctuation Checker Apps/Correctors”
Cool post! I like grammark! But apart from grammar and punctuation checking, it is also worth checking for plagiarism. I use this tool , which is perfect for bloggers.
Yes, Jason, GramMark is a very good grammar checker tool. Thanks for sharing your favorite punctuation and grammatical checking tool.
This is one of the best blog that I had ever seen this before. I just love your post. Now-a-days grammar is very important in the English language. I am using Nounplus(dot)net . It is a free Grammar checker. After using this I increased both my grammar and writing skill. Thanks for sharing with us such a wonderful post.
Yes Sae, i always use online grammar correction tools to fix my grammatical mistakes. It is very important as one incorrect word can change the meaning of entire article. I didn’t know about Nounplus grammar checker tool. Thanks for let me know about it.
Thank You for sharing, I badly need this, My grammar sucks really he he 🙂
Me too! 🙂
I enjoyed your article and agree with your conclusions. However, what I think you are really looking for is an ESL grammar checker. ESL is “English as a Second Language.” None of these websites target the kinds of errors second language speakers make. They are designed for American college students, not bloggers writing in their second language. I will give you an example from your own article. You wrote this:
As humans, we do lots of flaws. Even you are a professional writer, poet, author or a freelance copywriter; you would make lots of grammatical and spelling errors. If I didn’t use a punctuation checker tool for this article, I wonder if you could understand the text I wrote!
There are at least 5 second language errors in these sentences that first language grammar checkers won’t catch. That’s why as an ESL teacher I always recommend a particular website which is not on your list.
VirtualWritingTutor.com is the only free online ESL grammar checker that will catch second language errors that the other websites miss. Copy/paste the sentences above to see what I mean.
Anyway, thanks for a great article and the useful lists of key features.
I agree with Nicholas. Sorry to be mean Chamal but your advice on these sites would be stronger if your writing was not littered with basic errors. I have been managing large teams of people in India writing for a long time and found to my amazement that none of these programmes deal with the most common and basic errors normally found in Indglish writing. Try typing the sentence ‘The England is better than German army’ into them, which breaks basic rules of how to use articles. None of them pick it up. I don’t understand why these tools can’t pick up these basic issues, as well as more complex style issues, but they don’t, so I have given up on them. Nicholas VirtualWritingTutor.com catches the issue with ‘German army’ but not the problem with ‘the England’ which I think is pretty basic and fixable? I have entered a change request. If you are interested I am happy to test some more text with the typical errors we encounter. If we could remove even 75% automatically it would be a godsend.
Oliver, I also admit that my writings are not 100% correct. There are a few reasons for that.
Yes, NOT any grammar checker tool can fix those common errors. That’s a reason why every programmed application can’t replace for man’s talent, skills.
Oliver, I got your suggestion for “the England” and added a rule to cover “the” + 164 countries to the VirtualWritingTutor.com. You can check it. As for what you call “basic rules,” it is amazing the number of basic errors that a native speaking educated human can detect in English– but it takes that human 25 years to develop the ability. To get a computer to detect and correct just a fraction of them has taken me 4 years and 81000 lines of code. I develop the error detection rules for the VWT from the errors in my French speaking college students’ writing in Montreal. If you have insights into “Indglish” errors, please share. I will do my best to catch them with your guidance.
I mostly use the grammarly addons for chrome to detect and fix grammar error but above shared tools are also great. I think you have missed a most powerful Grammar error detecting tool By SEO Tools Centre which can detect grammar errors up to 26 languages freely.
I will check it out robbie. How does it differ from other tools/software?
Personally, I like Grammarly tool as an online grammar checker. I think this is only the best tool for professional writing. But most of the time I use my combine formula to write something in English. So that is a very interesting formula for me.
However, thanks for sharing your list with us. Hopefully, this list will be more helpful for bloggers, students and freelance writer to write errorless writing.
A nice post, at the end. Writing a blog post take times, I love writing, though. However, when it comes to proofreading it, I always get bored and takes time. And that’s where tools like Grammarly or Ginger are used by me.
This is an AWESOME post.
Yes, of course I too face your problem. When it comes to proofreading, I too little bit step back. Because it’s boring. However, proofreading is a great way to find errors and missings on article. My best grammar tool for proofreading is Grammarly.
Thanks for your awesome comment!
Good to know about these spell checkers, I used grammerly free version sometime back and recently i used Ginger, I think this is one of the best spell checker, i need to check others too, will come back again to you with my experience, Thanks
Hi, I personally use Grammarly and it is great grammar checker and Plagiarism checker also.
I’m serching for online punctuation tools and came across your very post.I loved your suggestion about grammarly and I’m going to use it.
Thanks for advice,
Great. Let me know how Grammarly helps you fix punctuation errors.
Useful collection of Grammar and Spelling checker tools, although all above stated tools are practicsl and essentials for bloggers and every day users. But the most favorite of mine is GRAMMARLY, of course due to its vast and user friendly interface.
Thx for sharing…
I personally use Grammarly as well. It’s a sophisticated tool. No wonder why many people use it! Thanks Rafaqat for sharing your opinions. I appreciate it.
Hello Chamal, Nice list of tools for grammar and punctuation. But I would like to have a look at a new tool that I found a few months back and using comfortably till now. You can find that tool @ https://www.mygrammarcheck.com
Hello Agarwal, thanks for sharing your favorite grammar checker tool. How does MyGrammarCheck.com differ from other tools? I haven’t heard about it until you commented! 🙂
First of all they are providing 5 months free subscription and very cheap packages I must say with user friendly dashboard with their chrome add-on too
I will check it out, Agarwal. Chome extension is always good for works. I wonder it supports Google Docs.